1892 8mm french revolver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drslav

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
284   0   0
Location
Kanadastan
I was am in process of purchasing 1892 revolver which is advertised in a way that looked as it could be de-registered but seller said he will not do it. Then i realized that lower on the page seller mentioned the barrel has 1902 date on it. does that mean it cant be prescribed antique? is this the way to date this gun?
please help. I need some good news cause i want the gun but i wont buy it if it isn't an antique. It will mean backing out of a deal and braking my word. I just would hate to do that unless i had a serious reason.
 
I saw the ad you were refering to also. I found it a little deceiving also since it implied that it could be deregistered, but the seller wouldn't do it himself. That would be up to the buyer. Then below the ad it mentioned a date on the barrel of 1903. I'm sure the buyer knows there is no way that it could be deregistered but wanted to dangle the carrot of deregisteration in order to sell it quicker. There were 350,000 Mle 1892 revolvers were manufactured between 1892 and 1924 with alot (but not all) having the year of manufacture stamped on top of the barrel. Only the pre 1898 revolvers are considered antiques. My 1892 does not have a year stamped on the barrel but was made in 1902. You can find the year of manufacture from the serial # They are still nice handguns though and Fiocci makes ammo for them.
 
Sometimes the barrrel's were changeed as the bore's went. I've encountered that before. However The serial # on the frame of the gun you are talking about puts it firmly in the "not an antique" category. All of the "F" prefix guns are antiques. A very few of the early "G" series guns are as well. Any other prefix, and it's not an antique. I believe the gun you are looking at has an H prefix. (Memory may be off) Hope that helps.
 
yes it is H prefix. what length of the barrel is on this gun?
Now i feel like crap. price was right 3 boxes of ammo holster and would have been my first antique i wanted so bad. I missed last one was for sale but i think out of my price range anyway.
there is one on EE but it has a bent crane so it needs work...i dont know what to do..
i dont want $700 gun i have to spend $50 a box for ammo an antique would be understandable.
BTW i have nagant in the mail i bought for $150 that i will try to reload for...

just found its 114 mm barrel. not a prohib is it?
 
I went and looked at the ad again. It is an H prefix. Not an antique. His ad kinda let's you think that it is de-registeraable (a word - dunno) HMM Not a prohib (12-6) either though. All the 1892 barrel's were 4 5/8". Still, the ad's wording in my opinion is enough to back out with a clear conscience. It's sorta implied that it is able to be de-registered, just that he won't do it for you. Your call. My 2 cents
 
Sometimes the barrrel's were changeed as the bore's went. I've encountered that before. However The serial # on the frame of the gun you are talking about puts it firmly in the "not an antique" category. All of the "F" prefix guns are antiques. A very few of the early "G" series guns are as well. Any other prefix, and it's not an antique. I believe the gun you are looking at has an H prefix. (Memory may be off) Hope that helps.

i was hoping the barrel was replaced with newer one i wouldnt care but what you are saying is right...about the prefix. I just had to ask second opinion.
thank you
 
I went and looked at the ad again. It is an H prefix. Not an antique. His ad kinda let's you think that it is de-registeraable (a word - dunno) HMM Not a prohib (12-6) either though. All the 1892 barrel's were 4 5/8". Still, the ad's wording in my opinion is enough to back out with a clear conscience. It's sorta implied that it is able to be de-registered, just that he won't do it for you. Your call. My 2 cents

so i wasnt the only one reading this and seeing it deceptive.
I will call the deal off. Feel bad and probably will end up with negative trader rating but i am not going to spend my paycheck on an gun that is not an antique if that is what i wanted to buy..
thank you all for help.
i am very disappointed but at the same time happy i spotted this before i sent money.
 
Maybe it would be good to know who's that "honest"seller?

I do sometime see some handguns on American sites listed as antiques when they are NOT antique in Canada and the US...... that's sad!

Good luck in finding a good 1892 out there...... I saw two on GunBroker today....just do not know what's the reserves on them, but the guy ships internationally.....and they are both antiques ;)
 
I saw the ad you were refering to also. I found it a little deceiving also since it implied that it could be deregistered, but the seller wouldn't do it himself. That would be up to the buyer. Then below the ad it mentioned a date on the barrel of 1903. I'm sure the buyer knows there is no way that it could be deregistered but wanted to dangle the carrot of deregisteration in order to sell it quicker. There were 350,000 Mle 1892 revolvers were manufactured between 1892 and 1924 with alot (but not all) having the year of manufacture stamped on top of the barrel. Only the pre 1898 revolvers are considered antiques. My 1892 does not have a year stamped on the barrel but was made in 1902. You can find the year of manufacture from the serial # They are still nice handguns though and Fiocci makes ammo for them.

yes it is a nice gun. what is that guns value from 1902?
i have seen the antique ones worth from 850 to about 1500?
only reason i wanted it because of antique status...i guess i will wait for next one.
 
His price isn't unreasonable for an 1892 that has to be registered. Especially if it comes with ammo & holster. Just a little vague on the potential status of the gun.
 
Maybe it would be good to know who's that "honest"seller?

I do sometime see some handguns on American sites listed as antiques when they are NOT antique in Canada and the US...... that's sad!

Good luck in finding a good 1892 out there...... I saw two on GunBroker today....just do not know what's the reserves on them, but the guy ships internationally.....and they are both antiques ;)

well his rating is 69 and 100%. one neutral... I will not post it here, but look it up Pistols and revolvers in EE section you will find it.

i will look on Gunbroker..i did sign up there while ago. honestly saying though i'd rather buy in Canada.
have you bought antiques from US?
 
His price isn't unreasonable for an 1892 that has to be registered. Especially if it comes with ammo & holster. Just a little vague on the potential status of the gun.

it is a good deal shipped with holster 3 boxes of ammo $740. i think its great deal (especially if its an antique, but it isnt)
he even gave me till friday to send EMT which is accommodating and nice of him.I will feel bad breaking this deal but what can i do
 
it is a good deal shipped with holster 3 boxes of ammo $740. i think its great deal (especially if its an antique, but it isnt)
he even gave me till friday to send EMT which is accommodating and nice of him.I will feel bad breaking this deal but what can i do

What you can do is stick to the deals you made, and do your own homework!

I call bulls**t on the excuses. If you were shopping for an Antique, you should have done enough homework to know that a 1902 date on it, was an issue to begin with. Serial numbers too!

I read the ad the first time it went up, and it was pretty clear that the guy had been asked to de-register it. And his answer was...? I looked at the description, and said to myself "Self, that isn't an antique anyways, with a 1902 date on it!". Gonna cause problems no matter what.

Ever ask the seller if the barrel was a replacement? Or if the serial number dated it to an earlier date than the one on the barrel (going by the popular 'later barrel added ' theory) ?
How about, did you call the CFC and speak to the techs there about whether it was an Antique?
If it had, say, an 1896 dated barrel, and was presented as being an antique, but registered, maybe I'd buy in.

If you made a commitment and bail, prepare for feedback that says so, in my opinion.

As the buyer, YOU have to know a thing or two, if you wish to buy and then de-register. You also need to have the appropriate PAL, if you want the seller to deal with you, too.

True story. Colt .41 Cal Thunderer. Serial in the 1895-6 range. ~$400. Registered 12-6. (I don't have 12-6), seller didn't want anything to do with me, nor was he willing to discuss. Oh well. Move on. But at least I knew that that one WAS an antique before I dealt with him, or tried!

Cheers
Trev
 
The add for that gun is misleading in saying that the seller will not deregister the gun. It Cannot be deregistered as it is NOT antique. Otherwise it is a nice enough gun. The one I have with the bent crane comes with an antique letter but needs repair.
 
trevj

i do agree with you to a point, but you telling me that a guy with his rating and around 3500 posts since 2004 when told multiple times through PMs that i was getting it as for an antique hasn't said a word that it isn't, then in the end if the gun can be deregistered says he doesn't know? I made it clear straight from the beginning of the deal that i intended to get it changed over. He never said anything that it can't be done just cause he counted on my ignorance to sell it. At least that is how i feel. Call me stupid and tell me about my excuses but there is 2 sides to this story and you didn't see the PMs i sent to him..
In the past I bought stuff here and what i got was always what i was told i would. Honesty goes a long way.
Thank you for your honest opinion though. I didn't expect this not to cause a lot trouble and trust me i feel like crap over it not that anyone cares.
 
+1 don't like the ad, and seller was complaining about other people who backed out.

The Gunbroker seller you mention has a website where you can see the asking price (dealer) and thus the reserve price. Every once in a while a good deal does come up there. You can check Joe Salter (dot com) and see his antiques (will also ship to Canada if it is antique here, and will not screw you over).

Bent crane 1892: I don't know. If it's so trivial to fix, why didn't a gunsmith fix it yet?
 
trevj

i do agree with you to a point, but you telling me that a guy with his rating and around 3500 posts since 2004 when told multiple times through PMs that i was getting it as for an antique hasn't said a word that it isn't, then in the end if the gun can be deregistered says he doesn't know? I made it clear straight from the beginning of the deal that i intended to get it changed over. He never said anything that it can't be done just cause he counted on my ignorance to sell it. At least that is how i feel. Call me stupid and tell me about my excuses but there is 2 sides to this story and you didn't see the PMs i sent to him..
In the past I bought stuff here and what i got was always what i was told i would. Honesty goes a long way.
Thank you for your honest opinion though. I didn't expect this not to cause a lot trouble and trust me i feel like crap over it not that anyone cares.

Yeah. Understood.

Gotta throw it out there about the research though.

Got To Do The Homework!

Most important, esp. if you are dealing with a guy that is not a experienced "antique" guy that is able to give you answers and reference sources.

But now you know what questions you should have been asking, and what info you need to know to keep yourself outta the corner you painted yerself inta.

It is an antique. It's just not a Prescribed Antique antique. If you were looking for one of them, you now know at least a few more things to watch for, eh?
Not everybody that buys and sells guns pays any attention to the Prescribed Antique status ins and outs. I'd dare say that most guys are in that boat. There are probably more, better educated guys here than most places, but that does not, by any means mean that all the gun dealers or sellers know the in's and out's of Antiques.

I believe I mentioned homework.

Best of luck!

Cheers
Trev
 
Let's get a couple things straight.

It's my gun, and my ad. I don't own any "de-registered" antique status firearms. I placed the ad awhile back, and since have had a lot of people asking me to do the required paper work to have it declared an antique, get it removed from the registry, and then sell them the gun and ammo. Obviously trying to have an unregistered pistol in their possession, however it still comes back as the last registered owner, ME. Let's call a spade a spade.

After having too many of these requests and "offers", I edited my ad to say exactly that, I won't do it, and if the new owner wants to, go ahead. I have no experience in doing that type of thing. I tried to prevent any further requests of that kind, and not waste anyone's time.

The first PM I got from drslav was "I will take this revolver". Nothing else. I was then asked in subsequent PMs, about ammo and asked for time to pay. I said I'd throw in a box of ammo, and agreed to wait for payment. I also offered to throw in an original holster, as part of the deal. And advised, there was 2 other boxes of factory 8mm, I could sell for $45.

On the fifth (5th) PM from drslav, it was the first time he mentioned antique status, I was asked about "obviously you are sure it can be de-registered as antique".
My reply, "I don't know. I did't want to nor did I try." My spelling mistake on didn't.

drslav then re-neged on the deal.

I left it at that, advising drslav to not contact me in the future regarding anything. Period, end of story,,,,,, until this.

When I read this type of thing from this same drslav, with the insinuation that I did something unscrupulous, I must respond.
i do agree with you to a point, but you telling me that a guy with his rating and around 3500 posts since 2004 when told multiple times through PMs that i was getting it as for an antique hasn't said a word that it isn't, then in the end if the gun can be deregistered says he doesn't know? I made it clear straight from the beginning of the deal that i intended to get it changed over. He never said anything that it can't be done just cause he counted on my ignorance to sell it. At least that is how i feel. Call me stupid and tell me about my excuses but there is 2 sides to this story and you didn't see the PMs i sent to him..
In the past I bought stuff here and what i got was always what i was told i would. Honesty goes a long way.
Thank you for your honest opinion though. I didn't expect this not to cause a lot trouble and trust me i feel like crap over it not that anyone cares.

I declined to give negative feedback, as I should have, nor have I said his name, etc to any other person. However when this is being brought to light, by this same person, I have to set the record correct. Obviously don't feel that bad, to start the slagging on these posts.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom