1892 Winchester Mod 92 32-20

mr.e moose

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
193   0   1
Location
Alberta.
Hey Guys: Just a question on how much you would value a original Model 92 made in 1892 that has some issues.First of all some 'restorer' took some steel wool and wiped all of the original finish off of this rifle leaving all of the nicks and pits from the last 118 years.Secondly at some point in it's life the tube mag has been shortened by about half.And last the butt stock has a bit of play to it.Unfortunately I was so bothered by what was done to this classic rifle I didn't look down the bore.The reason I am asking this is I am all set for reloading 32-20 and have always wanted one in a mod 92.The fact of the matter is, Could I justify spending $1000.00 and then the additional cost of restoring this rifle.
 
If you intend on keeping the gun, then by all means spend the $...but if you intend on selling it, it is just a 32-20 shooter and really worth what anyone may pay...I personally would not even consider buying it.
 
That gun would be no where near worth a grand, let alone the amount you would have to put into it to restore it. Hold out awhile and be patient. You can find an all original (not messed with) decent shooter for less than that price.
Hope this helps,
Matt
 
I totally agree with Matt74...the permanently altered gun makes it just that..As a parts gun...well the only things that are original would be the inside mechanisms and what are they really worth? hardly a grand....by any stretch of the imagination.
 
The 'Question' is just how often do you come across a 32-20?I've been looking for one for about 2 years and this is the first one I've come across.The reason I want to get one so bad is that my 93 year old father in law says it was the best game getting' rifle he ever had.I had him out to the range and he was plinks the gongs at 50 yds with my rossi 92 and he said it was a OK rifle but it didn't compare to his 32-20 and he sure would like to shoot one again.On the other hand his daughter,[my wife]says I better not sell the farm [Quote} just to get another rifle cuase he would probably want to shoot a 25-35 wich was his other favorite cartridge.Any thoughts on this ?I think it's the least I could do for one of our old Vets.
 
The rifle as you describe it is a $300 gun. Actually there have been several .32/20's and .25/20's on the EE in the last 6 months and most have been reasonably priced for the condition. As far as the "game gettin'" capability of the .32/20, I suspect nostalgia has given the old guy a more potent view of the round, basically a small game and plinking round. That's part of the reason they were not a big seller. Most bought the .44/40 or .38/40 for deer or the .25/20 for varmints. The .32 was neither fish nor fowl.
 
I think that I would put the price in the $250 - $300 range assuming that the bore is good. If the bore is badly pitted, drop the price down to $150 tops for the action. See if you can have an opportunity to shoot the gun to get an idea of how well it groups

cheers mooncoon
 
A guns as good as the shooter holding it..................22 Hornet is not a BG cartridge by any means but many Arctic large animals have succumbed to it........polar bear,walrus,caribou and seals...................Harold
 
I've seen quite a few on here over the last year or so too, reasonably priced. Problem is, they don't last long I guess. Just be patient and the right one will come a long. Have you tried putting a WTB on here?

Matt
 
If you've been looking for two years have you considered buying one on gunbroker and getting SakoAlberta to bring it up for you? Dollar is almost on par. Just make darn sure the seller knows how to package a gun for shipping.
Just a thought if you are getting tired of searching.
 
I have a Winny 25-35 and it is an excellent deer caliber. Fun to shoot and easy to reload for. The 25-20 is a great varmint cal., but if BG ( elk, moose, or bear) hunting, use a 30-30 or 38-55...puts 'em down in a hurry with the right bullet weight.
 
If you can get it cheaply enough, the '92 in .32WCF is hard to beat. I got a real beater, owned by West coast Indians from 1918 until the 1950's, then sat in a collection for 50 years. Whole exterior is pitted, and the mag tube was dented to Hell. Bore wasn't bad at all, with minor pitting. I ironed the dents out of the tube, and gave the rifle a thorough cleaning. Shoots great! Works best with BP and 115gr. cast bullets. I dropped a coon at just over 200 yards with it once, and it's accurate enough, I wouldn't hesitate to take a close in head shot on our little blacktails.
 
Back
Top Bottom