1894 Octogonal Barrel .38-55

cadj

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys...I have come across an old Winchester model 1894 .38-55. My neighbour was going to have it destroyed by the RCMP! I have saved it from an unpleasant fate but am not sure what to do with it. Not much of a collector and am not sure what it is worth.

It is in fair shape. not much blue left but not rusting either. Stock is not split but has a 100 years worth of scratches on it.

Anybody have a ball park for the value? Not sure if I shoould sell it or hang it on the wall!

Cheers
Cadj (the nubie)
 
Hi Guys...I have come across an old Winchester model 1894 .38-55. My neighbour was going to have it destroyed by the RCMP! I have saved it from an unpleasant fate but am not sure what to do with it. Not much of a collector and am not sure what it is worth.

It is in fair shape. not much blue left but not rusting either. Stock is not split but has a 100 years worth of scratches on it.

Anybody have a ball park for the value? Not sure if I shoould sell it or hang it on the wall!

Cheers
Cadj (the nubie)

Hanging it on the wall may pull your studs out of square. Send it to me for a mailbox appraisal
 
There are a lot of variables. Is it a carbine or rifle? What condition is the bore and action? If you can post some pictures you'll get better answers.

Roughly, a functional rifle with a shootable bore is worth somewhere in the $600-$800 range. Depending on actual condition and model it goes up from there.
 
If it's in "kinda rough shape", I'd take care of it and shoot it, think of the stories it could tell, wouldn't it be nice to take it out this fall and harvest a nice buck with it??
 
1894 winchester

the 38-55 is a desireable cal for this piece especially with the octagonal barrel. i would guess min 700- in avg well used condition. key will be original barrel length, not shortened and to a lesser extent magazine length. nice find.
 
Don't be too disappointed if the bore looks grim. I've got one that the rifling looks like shadows.
Apparently it keyholes jacketed factory ammo ( so I was told ).
An oversize Lee mold and handloads and it's my favorite bush gun. Taken 4 - 6 deer with it.
 
Welcome aboard cadj.

I say get it checked, take it to the range, take it to the bush and have fun.

Like you I recently received a 38-55 from someone who just never uses it anymore.

My plan is to take it to a gunsmith just south of Winnipeg to have him take a look at it. The bore on mine is shiny, but the rifling is... well... let's say light.

Hoping to use it this year for Deer season if the smith gives it the thumbs up for factory ammo, not quite a reloaded... yet!
 
Winchester factory ammo is pretty sedate stuff. When you drop the hammer it sounds like someone slamming a door, LOL. My 11 year ago daughter can shoot factory loads without flinching...no for real.
 
Back
Top Bottom