1894 Springfield Armory Krag Rifle Value

Harry Callahan

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Location
YUL
Happy New Year to all of you guys. This rifle belongs to the inlaws and they ask me the value if they were to sell it today. I dont have the knowledge to put a price tag on it so I have to ask you gents. It's a 1894 Springfield Krag 30-40 calibre rifle serial under 5000, it looks original, I think the buttstock has been modified with a custom wood piece for a semi-pistol grip. The rifle is in good condition for a 118 yrs old piece. I've looked on internet and I've seen prices anywhere from a basically nothing $400-$500 to over $10k. Any help would be appreciated.

KragRifle002.jpg

KragRifle001.jpg

KragRifle006.jpg
 
Seeing as it is sporterized, its value is going to be nominal. Assuming that the bore is fine, it will be of interest as a shooter. Don't know if it would bring the basically nothing $400 - $500 you mention.
 
I just bought one in poor cond with a good bore for a little more than 300. Now it's a matter of opinion to whether I got an OK deal or not, of course.
But this one is in far better shape so I'd say 500ish; if mine was a fair price of course. Mine being the same year of manufactor as well.
Gotta say though; I love mine. Handles and points well; cycles slicker than Cats--t on a lino floor. It is without a doubt the fastest, slickest of my Milsurps to go from empty chamber to firing.
I don't know what I was expecting for shootability when I bought it but it's pretty good. Seems fairly flat shooting with 180 grain Dominion factory ammo; sedate recoil, not an earsplitting report on firing.
And the sidedoor loading may have been a deal breaker as a battle rifle, but it's sure cool as a hunting rifle.
 
Macon gunstocks apparently can hook you up with a finished and semi-fitted stock.
Kind of a coin toss on antiques or Milsurp; IMO, either is pretty close.
 
One year ago I bought a 30-40 Krag with a good bore that had been made into a carbine for $375, including lee dies, 50 brass cases, and 20 rounds of factory loads. It shoots accurately. I found it prefers 220 grain bullets.
 
In full length original full length stock un-altered with the under barrel cleaning rod the Model 1892 Krag would be worth well over $10,000. BTW the 1892 was marked Model 1894. These were modified in 1896 to conform with a new model variant...the cleaning rod was disarded and the rear sight was lsightly changed.
An altered, sportized version of the M1892 as you have there is not really worth that much realistically. If you get an offer for $500, grab it and run. At s it stands it is only about a $250 to $300 gun...not much more then that.
 
I saw one similar to yours but without the pistol grip. It sold for $100 about 3 years ago and went back up for sale and was sold for the same price last year. I would think yours on the local market would run maybe $200

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom