1897? Win 1894 38-55

jarutski

Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Location
SK
Serial 2997X. Looking to figure out what it’s worth. Appears to be in working condition. 38-55.

It is not in mint condition. The stock/wood is a bit chipped up, and the bluing is showing its age.

Appreciate the feedback.

Jarutski
 
Working condition...hmmm, vague.
These rifles have gone up in value quite nicely. Human nature being what it is, in that we tend to overstate condition?
I'm guessing about 600.
 
If you can get a warehouse configuration and verify that it is complete & original (no parts replaced - including screws) value goes up dramatically. Of course condition is also king.

Whenever asking what something is worth - you really need to post pictures (and good ones at that)
 
As others have stated photo's are needed. One question that comes to mind not covered by OP...SR carbine configuration or rifle?

The last very early 94 I bought that somewhat resembles your description ( 2nd yr manuf. rifle config.) , I paid $200 for it. It was in 30 WCF and yours is in 38-55...if yours has a "shooter" quality barrel it should bring a bit more for the 38-55 chambering. If not a shooter barrel, I would suggest closer in value to the one I bought but if in a good working order & it would have to have a very good looking bore for me to consider it for the mentioned $600.
 
I’m showing 1897 as year of production for that serial number as well from the Winchester website resources
 
Last edited:
Unfortunately I can’t post pictures on here. I will look at it a little more closely tonight and give better details.
 
I found the same thing for year - appears to be 1897. It’s not a carbide, it’s a rifle. And the condition appears to be similar to the one in he link. I agree ppl do tend to overestimate the condition, but I tried not to. I’m not interested in getting a false idea of the value, just looking for ballpark. I think I will pursue a collector in the REGINA area to see what they say.
 
Last edited:
Well a pre-64 carbine in a 30-30 will bring 400 all day long unless it's been horribly treated. How do you members think a 38-55 in a rifle will bring less than that?
No matter about the great deal you got, or insist upon having... that isn't market value. ..that is your personal price.
I understand about keeping sellers reined in by keeping them in reality....but no way the members here value their pieces at 200 $ when it's time for them to sell theirs.
Even in 'poor condition' I bet the piece in question will pull 350 on EE...on a slow day.
OP...I say be very careful about people telling you that it is of little value. They are like real estate people. Sell high and buy low is a likely thought process.
 
You can't buy an SKS for $200, a Winchester parts gun goes for $300-$400. So bottom dollar $500, it might sit on EE for a few days but it will go for that pretty easy. it goes up from there depending on condition and (factory) features (like custom sights, checkering, butt style etc.)

I believe the documentation from the Cody museum costs about $75USD - so it's not always worth it if the gun is in an 'off the shelf' configuration - that only helps when the gun was a special order, i.e. fancy stock, checkering, short magazine, custom sights etc-etc-etc.

You can generally tell how 'messed with' a gun is by looking at the screws (on the front barrel band, middle band, sides of receiver and tang) if they are marred you at least know that 'not a gunsmith' has had it apart, at that point you are in a who knows what was replaced situation.

if it has no custom/special features then you probably have (as tokguy stated) a $400-$600 (depending on condition) gun and not worth getting the Cody letter.

Also - "looks working" those 94s can have a lot of issues that look fine but make them completely unusable... for example, when the link gets worn cartridges will start feeding out of the magazine under the carrier when it is in battery ... you get to take the gun apart then. hammers and sears wear making it not #### ... etc.

you really need to shoot it to see if it actually functions as advertised.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom