18th / 19th century Spanish Flintlocks from Mexican safety deposit box

Steve1987

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Location
Ottawa, ON
Hi,

I don't often frequent this forum, but I've managed to acquire a couple of very old and rare Spanish flintlocks.

These flintlocks were apparently found in a Mexican safety deposit box along with several other pieces in the 1940's. The fellow who originally purchased the box died 10 years ago and a family member brought them to me. I'm not exactly sure the story of how the box ended up in Canada. The other items in the box are American Civil War era that I'm somewhat more familiar with. I have simply wiped the grime off, otherwise I've left these untouched since I discovered them and they haven't been in collector hands prior to this that I know of.

The first one is a Spanish Miquelet. My initial research has discovered this as an early example of a European manufactured pirate style sidearm of late 18th century to early 19th century. Still has period leather in the flintlock.





The second pistol I think is a Spanish New Land model ***Pistol, circa late 18th to early 19th century. I am seeking more information regarding this pistol. It still has pieces of old leather, and the piece above the trigger might be a field modification attached with hobnails.







I am looking for more information on these pistols, and to confirm I've gotten a reasonably accurate description. These pieces will not be staying in my collection and how I ended up with them is quite random.

Regarding value, can anyone tell me what they might be worth? I have seen the Miquelet selling for over $2000-$2500 in less than original condition. The second pistol is less common and it's tough to find sold examples.

Thanks for any help, and if nothing else enjoy the photos!
-Steve
 
Last edited:
Thanks for your interest.

Interesting. Do you recon the leather on the second one is some sort of flash guard?

It could be, I haven't really figured it out yet though.

I've a smoothbore Miquelet with a flared muzzle, but I'm about in the same boat as you...no idea as to value.

The cheapest I've seen in the U.S. seem to be between $2000 to $3000 for ones likes mine in varying states of originality. However, I haven't been able to determine the value of mine accurately enough to put them on the CGN EE yet. Hopefully there is interest here for such old guns? All input on value would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
-Steve
 
Those prices seem to be awfully high compared to prices that I have seen for flintlock pistols. To bring that much money, I think you would have to be able to associate it with some historical events. In the final analysis something is worth what someone else will pay for it

cheers mooncoon
 
Safe to say, that that ain't a revolver...

Fixed. It is definitely NOT a revolver.

Those prices seem to be awfully high compared to prices that I have seen for flintlock pistols. To bring that much money, I think you would have to be able to associate it with some historical events. In the final analysis something is worth what someone else will pay for it

cheers mooncoon

Hi mooncoon,

Thanks your reply. You might be absolutely correct. I'm hoping to get a sense of fair market value in Canada. I'm not looking to export these and I understand the Canadian collectible firearms market does not bring the top dollar prices the American market does, such as at Rock Island Auction. If I'm going to list these for sale on the sight, what do you think is a fair asking price to start with?

I'm fully open to hearing honest thoughts regarding the value.

-Steve
 
Back
Top Bottom