1911 Colt .455 magazine

dixda

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
Location
Kamloops B.C.
I have lanyard loop magazine that will not fit in my WW1 1911 .45.
It is marked CAL.455 on the bottom, above the lanyard loop, and "Eley" below.
It appears to have been blued, but in certain light the original two tone can be seen.
In its present condition (which would be excellent were it not for the bluing)what would its worth be estimated? KD
 
It is worth a lot more than an equivalent .45ACP magazine. That is the magazine used in the RAF purchased 1911 pistols in .455 Webley caliber.
 
The bluing 2 tone isn't a flaw. I believe the upper part of the mag was heat treated, creating the difference in tone.
 
The bluing 2 tone isn't a flaw. I believe the upper part of the mag was heat treated, creating the difference in tone.

I believe that this was blued at a later time, because it is all one color.
In certain light the difference in where the heat treated/ non heat treated areas can be seen.
Edit: The heat treated bluing came off with some vinegar.

Also forgot to mention that there are no broad arrow or any other military marks. KD
 
Last edited:
I don't have my .455 1911 on hand, but off the top of my head I don't think the mag has any military marks. They were only ever made on contract for the British military, there were no commercial sales.

If you do need a two-tone .45 mag I've got one without a lanyard loop I'd trade for your .455. This is admittedly not even close to a fair trade, so I won't be offended if told to get stuffed.
 
The first 600 in the W19000 and W29000 range were commercial and shipped to London Armoury which was Colt's UK agent. 'Colt 45 Service Pistols" Clawson shows a .455" mag as a commercial without inspectors stamps.
 
I was going to put it on the EE with these pics, but I had a couple of offers and ended up selling it. KD
(cheap Kodak pics)


0000355.jpg

0000356.jpg

0000357.jpg

0000358.jpg

0000359.jpg

0000360o.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom