1st time percussion revolver owner...where to get lead balls, wads etc?

DarkSyd

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Location
West Central SK
I'm not casting my own (yet!), so I'm trying to find someplace that has .36 cal (.375) lead balls, and probably some lubricated wads. I'm not going to be shooting it that much this summer...just wanting to get a few rounds downrange while the weather is nice.

I see track of the wolf has most of what I need...is that the most convenient option?

I'm kinda in the middle of nowhere, so retail stores aren't really an option, although I did stop at Cabela's and North Pro in Saskatoon last weekend, and apart from some powder and caps, didn't find much of anything else that I needed.
 
I'd put an ad in the EE, maybe a fellow cap n ball shooter would make a deal with you. IMHO, all you need is powder, caps, and round ball. You can use cream of wheat for filler, lard or crisco to smear on the cylinder, a small drill bit to clear the nipples.
 
I picked up a bunch of stuff for my cap and ball 36's at the Swift Current gun show this year. I believe it was from Hillfolk Musket Supplies, out of Senlac Saskatchewan. Better pricing than the offerings at the Calgary show this year.
 
Talked to Becky and she has everything I need...they are close enough that I might even just drive out and pick it up. Probably a mistake as I will undoubtedly come home with more stuff than I had planned :)

Thanks everyone.
 
OK hers what cha do. Call track order the mold for your caliber. Then open the phone book and find a metal scrap recycling yard. Go buy lead for 56 cents a lb. Last time I bought I got 50 pounds. that was last February, lead is almost all gone. Then cast your own. Too much of a hassle trying to find muzzle loader ammo in Canada unless U live in a large metropolitan area. When U order from track, order enough stuff to last at least 6 months. Patches, flint, tools, caps etc.
 
OK hers what cha do. Call track order the mold for your caliber. Then open the phone book and find a metal scrap recycling yard. Go buy lead for 56 cents a lb. Last time I bought I got 50 pounds. that was last February, lead is almost all gone. Then cast your own. Too much of a hassle trying to find muzzle loader ammo in Canada unless U live in a large metropolitan area. When U order from track, order enough stuff to last at least 6 months. Patches, flint, tools, caps etc.

I think I will do that as a long term plan...I'm not set up to do any sort of casting at all, but I'd like to try it sometime. Short term, I just wanted to get out and do some shooting while the weather is nice :)
 
does anybody else use toilet bowl wax (ring seal between toilet & the outlet on the floor).I find it works great for cylinder sealing in the summer & I cut it with Vaseline in the winter to thin it.
 
Back
Top Bottom