2.5" 16 gauge shells?

Kent retails Engish made Gamebore 2.5" ammo in 12, 16, 20 and 28 gauge in Canada. Any dealer that sells Kent ammo can order you a case (10 boxes), price isn't too bad for imported specialty ammo. Large retailers like Wholesale Sports won't do small orders. What gun do you want to feed? Jim
 
I think the short chamber(2 9/16) 16 gauge guns singles and doubles made on this side of the pond were used a lot with 2 3/4 inch shells in the past. I see a lot of them in decent shape but very loose in the action or "off the face" as the British say.
 
Yes, you could probably get by shooting 2 3/4" out of it but you still should be using low pressure, low velocity shells. Maybe something like Winchester low noise, low recoil although there has been conflicting reports on the pressures of those. Otherwise you will have to look for Kent as already mentioned. If you don't need a whole flat, see if you can find someone who will split a flat with you. Or buy a flat and advertise what you don't want. Someone will likely want them.
 
I am thinking of taking some 2 3/4" shells and trying to alter them into 2.5".
Does this sound doable?

Hoping to open up a few, removing a little bit of the powder and shot, then cutting the plastic hull back a little bit and then somehow try to fold the crimp back over and hold it in place somehow.

Has anyone tried this.

p.s. Mike Webb, yes this gun was most likely shot with plenty 2 3/4, it is has some wiggle and was not shot for decades.
 
I am thinking of taking some 2 3/4" shells and trying to alter them into 2.5".
Does this sound doable?

Yes that's what I do.

Hoping to open up a few, removing a little bit of the powder and shot, then cutting the plastic hull back a little bit and then somehow try to fold the crimp back over and hold it in place somehow.

Yes. But I just cut the tops off, remove 20% of the shot and then press in a round cardboard disc to hold the remaining shot in. Works fine at the range. If I were to go hunting I would likely glue the discs in place.

Has anyone tried this.

Yes but my guns are still quite tight in lockup.

p.s. Mike Webb, yes this gun was most likely shot with plenty 2 3/4, it is has some wiggle and was not shot for decades.

If you want to buy a flat of Kent, please let us know.
 
I am thinking of taking some 2 3/4" shells and trying to alter them into 2.5".
Does this sound doable?

Hoping to open up a few, removing a little bit of the powder and shot, then cutting the plastic hull back a little bit and then somehow try to fold the crimp back over and hold it in place somehow.

.

I suspect the chambers are actually 2 5/8" and would have been made for roll crimp shells. Modern 2 3/4" plastic shells are thin enough that I think they can be shot in a 2 5/8" chamber safely but I would not shoot paper shells in such a chamber, assuming you could find them. I have trimmed shells by using the chamber end of a scrap shotgun barrel, cut off to 2 5/8" and used a partial star crimp with a top card wad. The piece of barrel kept my cut square and I did the cutting with a sharp knife. I think it would be foolish to try shortening smokeless shells and putting the powder back in. Chamber pressure is partly governed by the volume of the shell containing the powder and shortening the shell would reduce the volume of the loaded shell and increase the pressure. You would be far better advised to load using black powder and some type of fiber wads between the shot and the powder. I think a card wad over the cushion wad eliminates the problem of having shot imbedded in the cushion wad during firing. I use muzzle loading shotgun wads when I am loading black powder shells

cheers mooncoon
 
I might just dump the contents of a 16ga shell out and fire blank primers for now to test function and then go from there. This gun can't take much more shooting either way, but I'd sure love to rabbit hunt with it once or twice. I'll keep looking for some 2.5", one day I'll come into some.
 
I might just dump the contents of a 16ga shell out and fire blank primers for now to test function and then go from there. This gun can't take much more shooting either way, but I'd sure love to rabbit hunt with it once or twice. I'll keep looking for some 2.5", one day I'll come into some.

Get someone local who is knowledgeable about shooting antiques to inspect the gun and advise you. I suspect it is safe to shoot with black powder loads or low pressure smokeless loads. That assessment requires someone knowledgeable to exam it personally

cheers mooncoon
 
Get someone local who is knowledgeable about shooting antiques to inspect the gun and advise you. I suspect it is safe to shoot with black powder loads or low pressure smokeless loads. That assessment requires someone knowledgeable to exam it personally

cheers mooncoon

Any suggestions on low pressure smokeless for 16 Ga? I've a half round / half Oct barrel 16 ga Remington Rolling Block that wants to harvest some 'Wapoose'. But BP scorches plastic hulls does it not? I've hulls, wads, a roll crimper and shot ( Primers obviously ) but no recipe as of yet.
 
Yes Blackpowder is supposed to scorch plastic hulls. I have reloaded blackpowder in shortened 12 gauge shells for a project just as this one (2.5 chamber) and had no problem.
But
I only used the shells once then i was done. So for a one off reload i wouldnt get to wrapped around the axle.
If reloading a bunch i would be tempted to get brass hulls for something as fine as a rolling block.
 
Back
Top Bottom