.

I have inherited a Remington rolling block rifle, from my research it seems to be a NeW York State Militia gun, the markings date it to 1866-1872, it is a 50-70. The wood is dry, the bore black and missing the cleaning rod, there does not seem to be a lot of info on pricing out there, I know photos would be good but you know how that is.

I am thinking that $500-700 would be a legit price, what say the experts?

Kim

I would run a bronze brush through the bore first and see if it cleans us. If not and if there are no obvious pits in the bore, do the same combined with a cleaning patch dressed with valve grinding compound. If the bore remains dark or otherwise unlikely to shoot accurately then $4 - $500 seems reasonable. If the bore cleans up nicely then $700 would be more reasonable. If you intend to shoot it, I found that a Loverin style bullet was a lot more accurate than the government pattern and that was because the chamber / throat length was quite long and the Loverin design allowed the tip of the bullet to more closely approach the rifling

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom