I shoot for precision. 25 yards indoors. My goal is to put every round through the same hole. It's my thing—leave me alone.
I started with a Ruger 10/22, the plastic one that came with a scope. Now, the only things on my rifle that are original are the trigger housing and the receiver, literally. I use a 40x scope and shoot strictly from the bench. Most of the time, I can put 10 rounds through the same hole. (Yeah, I hear you—with a 40x scope at 25 yards, you should.)
I’ve had the best luck buying ammo from G4C Sports. When they have it in stock, you can get CCI (SV), 5,000 rounds for $580. I haven’t seen it cheaper.
I don’t hunt, and I don’t plink. 25 yards, same hole. For that, CCI (SV) is pretty darn good. CCI Mini-Mags are not as accurate for me. Eley is more consistent than CCI (SV), but it costs big bucks. My best ammo is Eley Semi-Auto Benchrest Precision. For my rifle, this is better than Match, Team, Tenex, or Club.
All comments pertain to me and my gun. Your results may vary.
The worst was SK Semi-Auto Rifle. It wouldn’t even chamber in my precision barrel.
Norma TAC-22 was not as accurate for me as CCI (SV). Norma was also the dirtiest ammo I’ve ever put down my barrel. I would say 100 rounds of TAC-22 is equivalent in dirt to about 600 rounds of anything else I’ve shot.
Blazer was okay-ish, but I used to get a lot of FTEs and stove pipes with my original gun. I haven’t shot them since.
Don’t underestimate the make and model of the round when it comes to accuracy. Probably the biggest improvement, out of the $2,500 I’ve spent on my rifle for accuracy, has been the ammunition.
Somebody above said it (at least bolt action part). In hindsight, and doing what I do, I would have bought CZ457 Varmint MTR if I was starting again.