.22 wra...Win Auto.

I know that already, but thanks nonetheless. Gunshows around here are few and far between.

.22 WRA is .22 Winchester rimfire ammunition, it is slightly different than a .22 mag.

.Winchester introduced its first pump rifle in 1890, designed by none other than John Browning and chambered in the .22 Winchester Rimfire. Though also known as the Remington .22 Special, we can designate the .22 Winchester Rimfire (WRF) the first ever .22 Magnum because of its similar dimension and ability to chamber in other .22 Magnum guns. But most importantly, even after all these years, the WRF refuses to die.

A More Potent, Modern Rimfire

With a 45 grain bullet lubricated and seated in the modern manner with the bearing surface protected, the WRF proved a significant step beyond the .22 long rifle, whose heel crimp left bullets exposed to the elements. The WRF held 7 grains of black powder compared to the long rifle's 5 grains. The WRF's original muzzle velocity was about 1,100 fps, and its flat-pointed bullet was a better stopper than the long rifle's round nose.

With the arrival of high-speed loadings in the 1930s, which clocked at between 1,400 and 1,500 feet per second, the WRFs trajectory proved flatter than that of the .22 long rifle, making the WRF a better killer of tough varmints such as woodchucks, but without the damage "varmint" cartridges could do to squirrels, rabbits and grouse. The improved lethality made the WRF a reliable tool on the farm for butchering pigs and cattle. Unfortunately, most such rifles hung on a nail in the barn uncleaned from one use to the next

The length advantage of the WRF made it a better shooter than the long rifle in long-cylinder revolvers such as the Colt Pocket Positive and Officer's Match revolvers. During the '20s and '30s, Stevens chambered a number of their heavy barreled 22s for the WRF. A good iron-sighted rifle such as a Stevens, Winchester's 1890 and Model 61, or Remington's 121S, will place it's shots into a 2.5 inch circle at 100 yards.
 
I know that already, but thanks nonetheless. Gunshows around here are few and far between.

.22 WRA is .22 Winchester rimfire ammunition, it is slightly different than a .22 mag.

thanks. As I understand it from your own quoted source, it is really called the .22 WRF.
I have seen these at Wholesale Sports Edmonton.
 
Yes, you are correct. For some reason, when I looked up the specs for the 1903, it said "WRA" So I got that stuck in my mind. I changed the title of this thread somewhat. Thanks.

Image0002.BMP.jpg
[/IMG]
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom