I found .222 Mag brass to be much easier to find than I thought it would be. In the four years I have had the gun, I have stumbled onto virgin brass at four or five places.
The weekend after I bought mine, I went into Shooter's Choice in Waterloo and they had 500 new cases in stock.
I was talking powders with a counter guy at Wholesale Sports (north end) last fall, and mentioned it was for a .222 Mag, and he asked if I needed brass. Stated that they had several hundred that they had no idea what they were going to do with.
Make some phone calls to the bigger dealers around the country and I think you'll find some soon enough. Insisting that it be sourced locally is sort of project suicide with a calibre that is relatively rare. And a tip of the hat to your friend: I looked for over a decade to get a .222 Mag, and the one I ended up with is a bit of a dog.