223 Commercial Reloads

Gunner1273

Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Location
Toronto, On
Hi guys,

Does anyone know anyone who commercially reloads 223 ammunition?? I have found commercial reloaders for all my other ammunition needs and can stand paying soo much $$$$ for 223 ammo.


Your help is appreciated.

Gunner1273
 
Hi guys,

Does anyone know anyone who commercially reloads 223 ammunition?? I have found commercial reloaders for all my other ammunition needs and can stand paying soo much $$$$ for 223 ammo.


Your help is appreciated.

Gunner1273

Check your PM
 
I would assume that there is not enough demand for 223 in large quantity and most of the volume shooters reload. Centaure used to sell reloads but they stopped the production because it was a lot of work.
 
Centaure used to sell reloads but they stopped the production because it was a lot of work.

I used to have access to a small mountain of once fired police range brass. I sold a lot of processed brass to guys who either didn't have the tooling or time.

I cleaned the brass in walnut then corn cob. I lubed it and ran it through my 1050 so the cases were small base sized, primer pocket swaged, and trimmed to length.

The problem came when I ran out of WCC or Win headstamped brass.

I'd sorted all my cases by headstamp. I used a Dillon case guage to make sure the cases were not over or under sized, or over/under trimmed. Winchester brass worked perfectly. Remington brass worked perfectly. Norinco and other oddball cases I'd gotten worked perfectly. IVI did require me to adjust the back-up rod a bit, as the web was a bit thicker.

However, once my supply of these cases was exhausted, I was left with Federal. Federal got the Lake City contract and much of the police range brass was now Federal instead of Winchester.

Running Federal brass in dies and trimmers set up perfectly with Winchester or other types of brass produced undersized cases. My working theory is the Federal brass was softer and didn't spring back as much.

If it was for my own use, I could take the time to segregate cases by headstamp. For a commercial use, it would be to labour intensive to be viable.
 
Back
Top Bottom