.223 Shelf Life?(or ammo in general)

trisol

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Location
Vaughan, Ontario
i have about 1000 rounds for about three years now of .223 Winchester 55gr fmj. i dont have anything that shoots this cartridge right now. should i be concerned if i keep holding on to it? will it rust or go "bad" on me?

thanks for your help!
 
I have said this before but if you do even a half-assed job of storing it properly your great-grandkids could end up shooting it without issue. If you keep it in a damp basement in the open corrosion is likely.
 
Check the back of the box for the expiry date. I actually recycle ammo so if you have any rounds older than about 6 months I will gladly have then recycled for you. PM me and we can arrange shipment. Dont worry I wont even charge you the disposal fee.
 
Unfinished basement on a shelf ok? Cement floors insulated and vapour barriered.

How long you plan on keeping this stuff man? I have reloading components in my basement which is pretty damp and I have never had any issues. They are used within a couple months though. If you are planning on keeping ammo stored for years just get some air tight ammo cans and throu in some silica packets.
 
The real question is "how long do you plan to live?" That ammunition should outlast you and your kids, if it's stored properly.
 
Check the back of the box for the expiry date. I actually recycle ammo so if you have any rounds older than about 6 months I will gladly have then recycled for you. PM me and we can arrange shipment. Dont worry I wont even charge you the disposal fee.

thank you everyone for all your help!

as for recycling, could i put in my blue box? LOL
 
Mlehtov - I have quite a few $ in ammo in Cals I don't shoot but plan on getting again so I don't want to ruin the stuff. Ill pick up some cans and silica just incase thx
 
100 yrs from now people will be buying whatever is left over on the EE ..... And it'll probably still go bang 100 yrs after that !

Yep, good for 100 to 200 years. Now if you want REALLY long term storage, put it in steel ammo boxes with silica gel and oxygen absorbers.

The only ammo that might have some trouble in 100 years is the Winclean type with lead free primers.

I have recently been reloading using up primers and powder that are 50 years old, and no special storage just a dry basement. Five thousand plus rounds and 100% have gone bang.
 
Back
Top Bottom