22Hornet plinking round...

FLHTCUI

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
138   0   1
So, I recently bought a slightly used Hornet in a Browning A-bolt Micro.
What do you Hornet shooters like for factory ammo ??
Just looking to kill paper and swinging targets for now.
Eventually I'll will take it to Alberta on a gopher hunt.
What are your thoughts on a 2-7 power scope as well.
Thanks for any insight,
Tight Groups,
Rob
 
Last edited:
hornet

The least exp hornet ammo if you can find it is the Privipartazan, should be about $35.00 for 50.
The best I found was the 35gr vmax made by hornady, my first hornet use to put almost in one hole at 100 yards.
I like a 4-12 scope on varmint rifles, I find that 7 power is too small at a 100 yards on paper. FS
 
Thanks FS, I will keep an eye open for the PV ammo you speak of.
I know each brand will shoot differently in each brand of firearm.
Just searching for some first hand results and I thank you for your input.
I know the 2-7 isnt going to be the best for target shooting per say, but rather the choice is for a hunting combo.
Not looking to put five in the same hole, but only to keep them in the kill zone should I stumble upon a larger than a gopher varmint appear.
Thanks Again for your input.
Rob
 
The hornet really is a round that's best suited for hand loading; all the factory ammo I've ever seen has been really expensive (especially when compared to the cost of hand loads.)

That said, the 35 VMAX load from hornady is really accurate - as accurate as my best handloads, and the standard gray-box winchester 45 grainers works pretty well, too. Neither are really 'plinkers' though, at or over the buck-a-bang mark.

For a 2-7 scope - I dunno, I personally prefer a 4-12x40 for light varmint guns. I really do like the Weaver rimfire scopes, though, and I *think* they make a 2-7x34 AO or something similar
 
weaver

If a 2-7 is the scope you have and you don't want to buy a new one then go ahead and put it on the rifle.

Everybody wants 5 in one hole, I think.

I have one of the great Weaver rimfire 2-7 scopes and believe the objective lens is 28mm, same size as the Leupold 2-7 rimfire product. FS
 
I had a bushnell 3x9x40 on mine ... was good enough for groundhogs and other critters, but I would have wanted more power if I was punchign paper at 100 yards.

As for ammo, I never did find a Factory load that worked really well and loaded my own instead - eventually found a load that gave me really nice groups. Haven't shot it in years though ... it's probably mad at me by now :(
 
I'd "K" any Hornet that I had, but for gophers I'd reload cast bullets for pennies a round. I'd load them to at least 2600fps, prolly using 8 grs. or so of powder, and shoot gophers all day.
 
Thanks Again for the info guys.
I bought a Leupold today at WSS in Langley, it is a Matte Vari XI 3-9x40mm.
Was going to use the 2-7 from the .22 A-bolt, but couldnt resist the deal today.
Will be writing down the info and opinions for later load development.
Tight Groups,
Rob
 
Back
Top Bottom