.22LR Questions

The Sand Man

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Victoria, BC
So I've heard a neat suggestion for a .22 target. It being one of those down rigger lead ball weights. I remember reading that a .22LR hitting the lead ball dispenses its impact energy into melting together with the lead ball. Thus, the target proves to be a neat challenge with interesting characteristics when hung from a chain...

I purchased a few that are about 3 inches in diameter, I wonder how long they will last...:confused: My question is, in terms of longevity as a target, which type of bullet would be best, a hollow point, or a solid lead bullet? Can anyone provide an answer from experience?

Cheers,
Sand
 
In terms of how long a lead target will last, getting hit with lead bullets, the only factor I've ever seen make any appreciable difference is -striking velocity-

The faster the bullet hits your target (the downrigger ball, in this case) the more "splash" you'll lose.
You also mention something about
"melting together"
, yes some small part of the impacting bullet will adhere to the target,
I'm not saying that it's impossible; but I think it's unlikely that your target will experience any predictable net weight gain.
My father used to make-and-sell down rigger balls when I was a kid, so I shot at big piles of lead "bricks" in our basement.
 
"... a hollow point, or a solid lead bullet..." Whichever one your rifle shoots best. They're both lead. Don't be shooting at metal at close range.
 
Back
Top Bottom