24 Pounder Howitzer

fat tony

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
I am doing paper on William Hall, I was wondering if there are any experts out there who would know the specs of the 24 Pounder Howitzer he used to blow a hole in the wall at the Shah Nujeff Mosque in Lucknow, such as the weight of the gun, the weight of the shell, what type of shell it could fire (solid shot, exploding shell), how much of a powder charge it would have used per shot, did they use friction matches or some sort of gun lock; what sort of muzzle velocity this particular cannon would have and the energy it would have had if shot at something 20 yards away - (they had to drag the howitzer within 20 yards of the walls and start wailing on it under heavy fire) :eek: Thanks for any info you can give. ;)
 
Last edited:
What a coincidence - I was just reading about this gentleman this morning in the Maple Leaf!

ht tp://www.forces.gc.ca/site/commun/ml-fe/article-eng.asp?id=6621
 
I can only imagine how intense the assault on the mosque was, especially wailing on the walls with a 24 lb howitzer @ 20 yards, while the enemy pounded you with musket shot and grenades, screaming and shouting, immense clouds of black powder smoke, minie balls, shells and solid shot buzzing through air, splinters and debris flying around, bloodied corpses, the cries of the wounded and dying! :eek:
 
Last edited:
Yes indeed. I wonder if the current generation would ever be able to rise to the occasions of WW2, WW1, and others. As a society, we're so soft and weak now. We comfort ourselves by thinking humans are too evolved to get dragged into another massive conflict, but I'd imagine humans said that after every war.
 
Back
Top Bottom