243 factory ammo

cantgetright

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Location
Ontario
Got a new 243 last week that I'm planning on using for groundhogs, coyotes and maybe the occasional deer. Is there a factory round in the 80-90gr. range that would work for all of this? Not sure if I want to use ballistic tips on deer and most of the premium ammo use them.
 
100 Gr Winchester Power points, All Federals .243 Offerings except their 55 and 70 grain varmint ammo.

Googling the ammuniton companies and looking at there offerings is a good way to find out who makes what.
 
Fellow at my camp useing the 100gr Win PP causing tremendous damage on deer. I'd imagine the effect would be pretty much the same on yotes, but it may pass through hogs. It up to you if those ends are exceptable.
 
i would look for a decent 100 grain bullet say federal premium loaded with nosler partitions and use them for deer and blue box 80 grainers for coyotes and dirt pigs just cause i feel that most 80 grain bullets in this cal are thin in the jacket.
 
You'll have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. The price of it means nothing.
Haven't used any factory ammo for eons myself. However, most 80 grain and under .243 bullets are varmint bullets. Fine for ground hogs and coyotes, but not deer. Find the most accurate deer bullet ammo and use it for everything until you get into reloading. A ground hog or coyote won't care and hunting varmints with your deer load is fabulous practice.
 
Many of the problems with .243 and deer can be traced to using varmint weight bullets (and therefore bullets that are designed for varmints with rapid expansion).
If you are only going to occasionally use it for deer, why not find a good high speed load for your primary use, and get the one or two boxes a year in a deer weight of 100 grain.
I used Hornady 100 grain spire points and I had good success on deer with no excessive destruction. I used a lot of 70 grain bullets on groundhogs with equal success on them.
 
Back
Top Bottom