25.21 Stevens Ammo

Blackduck642

Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I bought a Stevens 044 1/2 about a year ago in a package deal. It is chambered for 25.21 and would like to buy a few rounds just to have with the rifle. If someone could help with a possible source I would be greatful for the help. Thanks blackduck642
 
I very much doubt that you'll ever find a loaded round for it. Jamison might make brass that you can use though. You should post your question on the assra web site ( american singl shot rifle association ). There are a lot of Stevens experts there and I'm sure there are a few guys that load for this cartridge. There are a group of them dedicated to competing with the old .25 cal rifles.

Chris.
 
the cartridge is a long skinny shell and along with the 25-25, I don't think can be made from anything current. I am pretty sure however that some of the basic brass manufacturers do supply them. I will try to post a photo of the shell later today. Used to have a Stevens Tip up in 25-21 and probably foolishly traded it off.

cheers mooncoon
 
I just did a quick search and found out that Bertram sells .25-21 brass. It looks like an enjoyable project. CPA Rifles might carry a nice .25 cal mould for that rifle too.

That should be a fun little rifle. I had a Stevens 44 in .25-20 SS for a while, but it did not have a very nice bore. One day I'll pick up a 44 1/2 in .25 cal again, or maybe a .28-30 just to be different :)

Chris.
 
Hi Blackduck
If you need cases to reload, another option is Rocky Mountain Cartridges. Google the name, they are great to deal with. If you just want a single case for display, contact me as I have a single case I turned from bar stock a few years back just for snicks. I do not have a cast bullet to top it off with, but that should not be difficult to find. PM me if interested.
Cheers
jaguar/TheCounty
 
Bertram make brass for this and was told that Shooter Choice is suppose to getting some in, as I will be looking for some also down the road. I have a barrel in 25 21 for a Maynard and have just bought a Maynard that this barrel should fit,
John
 
I finally got around to taking a picture of the shells. sorry for the mediocre photography.



in order the shells are 22 velodog - 22 hornet - 25-20 Winchester - 25-20 single shot - 25-21 Stevens - 25-25 Stevens

cheers mooncoon
 
IIRC the SS was the basis for some pretty popular wildcats in .22 cal, which all died a horrible death, at least until some makers picked up the .25SS again. Donaldson Wasp, maybe?

I recall reading about a fella that went through a couple seasons of competitive target shooting, on 3 or so 25-25 cases. He was throwing charges on the line and breech seating his bullets, priming and depriming was the major wear on the cases (which were pretty much unobtainium too).

Cheers
Trev
 
Back
Top Bottom