25 pounder

By the look of the bottom of some of the staves this keg it has been around for some time. I would resist doing any refinishing on the keg. It would diminish its market value..The stenciled "CARTRIDGE No4" is burning a hole in my brain. I have seen this mark before, but cannot recall where. Powder was manufactured everywhere with no industry standardization in grade, classification or markings.

You got a good score.....

Maybe Doug might be able to add some info.....

That is exactly my hope, someone, somewhere has seen it before. Keg came from western Quebec, if that is of any help. Came from widow's basement whose husband inherited it from his father. That is all I know.

Burns nicely, fast and makes thick white smoke :)
 
As mentioned BP does not deteriorate (of course, if proper storage conditions exist), in fact it is widely held in expert BP circles south of the border that Civil War era BP is still superior (better consistency's ) to modern manufactured stuff. While offered granulations have changed over the years, and they don't scavenge the salt peter out of everyones outdoor sh!t house anymore, the basic construction/ingredients/ingredient volumes are still the same as 150 yrs ago
 
If the keg came from Western Quebec then there is a reasonable chance it was produced or at least sold by Canadian Industries Limited (CIL) out of Montreal. I believe they imported BP from the English firm of Curtis and Harvey so you might check for references there.
 
Back
Top Bottom