250 hi power?

agilbert

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Location
NB
a fellow shooter showed me a cartridge i have never heard of before. it is stamped 250 hi power rem-umc. the case is rimless and has about a 75 gr bullet. could this be an early version of the 250 3000? Thanks
 
Old Savage proprietary cartridge. AKA .250 Savage. As well as the .250 Savage Hi Power and .250/3000 Savage. First high velocity .25 calibre. Uses a .257" bullet at around 3,000 fps. A 75 grain varmint bullet runs around 3200-3300 fps.
It's another middle cartridge that's good for varmints and larger game, up to deer, out to about 175 yards. 300 for smaller deer.
 
I am really late here but here's a pic of the one round I have like you describe.
DSC00443-1.jpg


Also from a Western Cart. Co. booklet in 1937:
250HP.jpg

DSC00210.jpg
 
Perhaps the most long lasting legacy of the .250 Savage/.250-3000/.250 Hi Power was that it served as the parent case for the .22-250.
 
Sort of a scaled down 25-06. I know w fellow who hunts a lot with this caliber exclusivly. Has shot many deer and moose with it.

The first owner of my 250 HP bought it in BC, hunted Bear, Deer and Moose with it, moved to Ontario and hunted the same game there and then moved back to BC to do it some more.:cool:

Gramma's brother also shot Moose and many Mule Deer with his. I wish his rifle hadn't dissapeared.
 
Back
Top Bottom