28 Gauge Fiochhi 3 Inch Shell

28 gauge

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Have been reading a little of late about a 28 gauge 3 inch shell listed in the 2010 Fiochhi catalogue.From what I understand the shell is loaded with 7/8 ounce of Tundra non toxic shot.Anyone have any other news about tjis new 28 gauge 3 inch shell?
 
Seems like a marketing gimmick to me. I can't see any practical use for a 3" 28, especially given the effects of pushing a long skinny shot column down a bore at high pressure. Bad patterns and long shot strings don't show up in marketing brochures but they sure do compromise results on game in the field.
 
At a gun show last year I saw a 28 gauge O/U that was marked chamdered for 3 inch .In the past I have heard of some 28 gauge shotguns being chambered for 3 inch.

These Fiochhi 28 gauge 3 inch shells are the first shells I have heard of.The longest 28 gauge shells I have seen are for 2 7/8 inch.

For waterfowl hunting and now many other areas in Canada and the USA going non toxic. The longer 3 inch 28 gauge shell could maybe help keep the 28 gauge in use in an increasingly non toxic world by allowing more pay load .

When using steel shot one has to use bigger shot so more room is needed in the hull.This is one reason I believe the 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch shell has become so popular.

Just some thoughts on the subject.
 
I have a beretta silver pigeon and the cambers are 3"
Thanks. I wasn't aware that Beretta had gone to a 3" chamber for 28 gauge.

I'm of mixed views on the "magnumization" of the 28. On one hand I can see the benefits of the longer case for non-tox but have always thought the 28 is perfect with 3/4 ounce lead and the various 1 ounce loads don't offer an improvement in patterning.
 
Yes the non toxic shot throws a whole different light on things.Not too long ago I purchased some factory Winchester 28 gauge 2 3/4 inch steel loads.Just forget the weight of the load but it is lighter than the lead load and when using steel one usually goes to a larger shot size to make up for the lighter weight pellets.Have not had a chance to try these new shells yet.

Whether the 3 inch 28 gauge is a good thing or not can be decussed but it maybe a way to keep a decent pay load in the 28 gauge using the lighter non toxic loads, such as steel.It could help keep the 28 gauge in use in the field when/if lead is banned from use in shotgun shells.

Just some more thoughts on the subject.
 
I used to shoot a 28ga a lot years ago and loved it, but this is the first I herd of a 3". Interesting stuff.
 
Back
Top Bottom