2P proof mark vs BP proof mark - is there a difference?

swampdog

Regular
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I'm looking at proof marks on a Webley MKII.

Proof marks on the barrel and between each hole on the cylinder have the Crown over VR over crossed pennants (or swords) over 2P.

Can anyone tell me the exact meaning of the 2P? From what I understand, earlier Webleys had BP proof marks, which was a Black Powder proof mark. Is the 2P a later nitro proof mark indicating that the test firing was done with smokeless powder? And does anyone here have any idea about the pressures involved in the proofing on these Webleys?

The gun also has other markings, which I may get around to asking questions about as well.

Thanks for your help.
 
The VR pennants 2P mark is a military proof mark applied to rifles and pistols made for the British military.
Cordite loaded sevice .455" cartridges were approved for use in all service Webleys and the .476" Enfield.
Proof load gave 7 long tons psi.
 
I'm still not clear on this. Someone told me that the British applied the BP proof mark to the earlier Webleys proofed with black powder ammo. Is that correct? And did use of the 2P proof mark begin with use of the cordite ammo?
 
BP means Birmingham Proof applied by the private company Birmingham Proof house on arms meant for sale on the commercial market. Does not mean black powder proof.
Military arms were prooved in two stages, rough barrels ,cylinders etc received first proof and if they survived they were finished and then received second proof.
 
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but have a look at this web site. http://proofmarks.tripod.com/englishproofs.html

That still leaves me wondering what the 2P means.

Edit: after looking at various sites on the net, it seems that the 2P may stand for 2nd proof. According to one or two sites, barrels underwent the 1st proof before assembly of the gun. The 2nd proof took place after assembly. I stand to be corrected on this as I'm no expert.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom