#3 Russian S&W

Sharps '63

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
My Taylor's .44 Russian #3 arrived today. What a beauty, but what a massive gun for such a puny cartridge! Love the Russian inscription on the barrel.

The trigger guard hook is a natural place to hang the index finger of the supporting hand, like it was designed for it. "Duellist"-style it points really well, but it's a bugger to #### with the thumb of the shooting hand.
Needs to shot with two paws and cocked with the thumb of the supporting hand 'gamer' style.

There's going to be quite a bullet jump to the forcing cone even tho' the cylinder is historically correct in length.

I'm on back order for brass, but I have 100 cut down .44 Spl. cases already loaded with 200 gr RNFP's, Bulls Eye and Unique. We'll see what the gun likes. After that, it will be BP.
Got a DC NEI 210 gr RN mould coming, the traditional bullet for the round and the one that made it's reputation on the target range.
 
Got it from Epps. They had two at the time ....

shot it today with two smokeless loads at 15 and 25 yds. The gun groups well, putting all it's rds into the same groups with two paws or one at 15 yds. That's unusual in my experience. Softball sized rocks at 25 yds were gimmee's. Recoil is negligible, as you'd expect from such a massive gun; like you'd get from a M29 with light .44 Spl. rds.

Experienced some 'spitting' when shooting with both paws, so I expect that the forcing cone needs a little enhancement. With one paw, the gun is a little further out and I didn't notice anything. The trigger could use some attention, but I'll shoot it for a while first. With two paws, it's fine.

Shot it "Duellist" with the British military lanyard in place and found out that the cord is not long enough! Makes me wonder how the Brits shot their guns ....
 
Every .44 Russian load I shoot makes me smile. I only use BP loads, always liking the original intent of the recoil. Heavy framed S&W guns, with the same result as a modern S&W .44. Shoot all day, at minimal cost, and spend a 1/2 hr. cleaning guns. I have a Russian with the finger hook, don't really understand it. A Russian Govt. idea for handling and control. It works as designed, but...
I have a few other Russian guns, I still like the concept. Economical fun. Shoot on.
 
I vaguely recall reading that the finger hook was in fact not intended for fingers during shooting but rather to allow hooking the gun into the officer's waist sash (is that the right term?) so it didn't fall through to the ground.

But I've read a LOT of stuff about shooting in my mad rush to learn about this new, to me, sport over the last 5 years since I got my RPAL. So I could well be thinking of something else.
 
Back
Top Bottom