30-06 22” barrel

byronick87

Regular
Rating - 100%
104   0   0
Location
Cowtown, AB
For some reason, I’ve always preferred long actions paired with 24” barrels. I know the real-world velocity difference is probably only around 25–75 fps. I’ve also heard about incomplete full powder burn in a 22” bbl but not sure if that’s anecdotal evidence.

So, gentlemen…

Talk me out of—or into—buying a .30-06 with a 22” barrel
 
Shooting 175 lrx at 2800fps out of a 22in sub moa. Can't help with your decision though, a couple more inches wouldn't be bad to carry and would add some velocity.
 
Well I have a 20” barrel 30-06 and had a few others over the years and they are great to carry and never had a problem getting games with them! I had a Ruger 77 mkII with a 22” barrel and it was also perfectly fine of a hunting rifle!! I have a Merkel K5 that is 22” and shoots great! I also have a few 24” barrel 30-06 and they also shoot well!! From 20” to 24” same load the 20” clocks
In @ 2695fps and the 24” barrel one clocks in at 2735fps so the difference is pretty much irrelevant( of course not the same barrel shortened so two different barrel)
I never noticed a fireball/ flash out of any of my 20” or 22” rifles.
 
When discussing this with custom gunmaker Chris Griesbach, I couldn't decide either so I asked him to install a new 23" barrel on my custom Brno ZKK 30-06. I'm happy! ;-)
I did the same on my 458 win mag asked Gary Flach to cut it at 21” I couldn’t make my mind on 20” or 22” so I split the difference 😎😂
 
The Rem 700 Mtn I have in ‘06 is a 22” bbl.

In all honesty I can’t see what an extra 2” of barrel and maybe 75’ish plus (maybe more) of fps would gain over the 22” version in real world conditions. Same could be said for the M77 UL I have in .270W with a 20” barrel

Yes… some will argue for the extra velocity of a longer tube and that’s a given, but it really isn’t that detrimental in the grand scheme of things.

Certainly no animal will stop and say “hey you should’ve hit me with a 22”or 24” tube and then keel over if the shot is placed in the correct spot 😁
 
When discussing this with custom gunmaker Chris Griesbach, I couldn't decide either so I asked him to install a new 23" barrel on my custom Brno ZKK 30-06. I'm happy! ;-)

Probably where I will end up as well lol


For some reason, I’ve always preferred long actions paired with 24” barrels. I know the real-world velocity difference is probably only around 25–75 fps. I’ve also heard about incomplete full powder burn in a 22” bbl but not sure if that’s anecdotal evidence.

So, gentlemen…

Talk me out of—or into—buying a .30-06 with a 22” barrel

I'd let whichever gun I like best talk me into the barrel length.

Who knows, it might even be as fast as some 24" guns :p
 
I hunted for 3 years with a Remington 700 Carbine with a 20" barrel.
During that time I shot 8 game animals, [Elk, Moose, WTDeer, Mule
deer.] None complained that my barrel was too short, lol.
My present 700 "Classic" has a 22" tube, and I flirt with 2800 fps
with the 180 Partition, chased by Norma MRP. Buy that 22", It will
work just fine. EE.
 
Probably where I will end up as well lol




I'd let whichever gun I like best talk me into the barrel length.

Who knows, it might even be as fast as some 24" guns :p
My rem700 mtn in 7x57 was throwing 150 partitions over 2900fps with 22 inch tube. Dialed er back to 2850ish for a bit. But it was just too bloody snappy...light rifle, and my accuracy was suffering so I'm testing the mid 2600 fps.

Doubt game will care.
 
My rem700 mtn in 7x57 was throwing 150 partitions over 2900fps with 22 inch tube. Dialed er back to 2850ish for a bit. But it was just too bloody snappy...light rifle, and my accuracy was suffering so I'm testing the mid 2600 fps.

Doubt game will care.

My shoulder felt it just reading that from here jk must have been pretty jumpy for sure though but wow. Thats some speed!

Good thing about partitions eh? they don't really care if its 2900 or 2650. must be a sweet shooter now
 
My shoulder felt it just reading that from here jk must have been pretty jumpy for sure though but wow. Thats some speed!

Good thing about partitions eh? they don't really care if its 2900 or 2650. must be a sweet shooter now
Yeah its a much better now. Its shoots partitions pretty well, not as well as accubonds or ballistic tips. I actually got my hands on a pile or Norma Triclad 150 and 110. Shoots the 150 really well, so I'm using those for my hunting ammo this year. Haven't played with 110s yet.

Provided I don't take the 722 in .300 sav. I always seem to shoot that rifle well. Shoots my handloads and Corelokts in 150grn the same.


I shoot the swede with light bullets quite a bit ..I do have 100grn partitions for that too. Pretty much watch your shots lazer out there through the scope.

Starting to realise then 1/4 bore value.
 
Back
Top Bottom