.30-30 150gr vs 170Gr bullet ?

Nemos

Regular
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Just picked up my first .30-30 winchester repeater 1894

While looking over difrent ammo I see that Federal has 150gr and 170gr bullet ammo. Same price. What would the diffrent characteristics of the difrent ammo be ?

I am not a hunter and plan to just use this rifle for Target shooting.
 
Maybe ask that guy super-dud, he is the resident expert on the short comings of the 30-30.
The paper wont know the diff if it was killed with the 150 or the 170 bullet.
But the 150 should reach out a lil further before gravity takes hold,
Tight Groups,
Rob
 
Last edited:
You would be better to forget about the bullets, and take the gun to the paper!As we have all found out, these guns will out do anything!
 
As said, if you're shooting paper, it makes no difference other than the 150 might get some further reach.

For hunters, this is a legitimate question; since energy comes from velocity and weight, the 30-30 bullet is not so fast, so every bit of extra weight makes up for the energy needed to make a good kill. Its a bush gun that is short, aims fast, and can hit a few twigs and leaves without altering its path. Not a long distance shooter by any means, but a longer barrel gives you more range and better aiming.
 
If you are just shooting paper, buy a box of each brand and bullet weight and shoot them carefully off a rest, to see what works best in your rifle. You might find that one works much better (or worse) than others.

The most you can shoot is about 3 shots before the warming barrel will or could start to shift the group. If you want results that mean something, let the rifle cool between groups.

A second or third rifle to plink with between groups is a good idea.
 
With the same construction the 150 might open up a bit faster and be better on side shots on deer size animals. The 170's will penetrate better and in fact will surprise with their performance. The wound channel might be a bit narrower as they won't open up as quickly.

Not a huge difference, I'd use whatever shot better and if similar I have come to like the 170 grain performance. Animals will often run and not collapse at the shot as the wound channel is fairly narrow but penetration is likely to be complete giving a blood trail. Use to be lots of old guys depended on the 30-30 170 even on moose. Not so much seen anymore but it still works, especially inside 150 yards where you can get some expansion.

On my Stevens 325B I switched to 125 Sierra Spitzers as they expand out to 200 yards and hang together well enough for close in. The 160 Hornady Flex Tip might be the best compromise as it's decent b.c. gives better velocity retention and expansion out past 150 Yards, while it's still heavy enough to give some good penetration.
 
If you don't hunt with it, try a few diff. bullets and go with what shoots best, so far mine shoots o.k. with cast loads but only at much reduced loads, which would be okay for your purposes.
 
Well just because I am not a hunter doesn't mean I don't want the info. I'm actully quite happy to get the hunting info because other wise I'd never have an Idea. Thx again for the helpful info! Its all new to me and I'm quite the sponge, trying to take in what I can. It will be about a week untill i get home and start firing off difrent rounds to see what she likes.

Very good to know about the kool down times. I hadn't thought about that and only makes sence now !

Thx Guys.
 
I've shot them in a couple of Marlins and gotten good results but they have to be HARD and at least .309 dia - I think the Micro-Groove curse is a bit overblown. My .444 and older 1895 .45-70 both worked well with cast, they just took a little more work. The one 336 I have left work OK with lead so long as I take proper care...
 
Back
Top Bottom