30-30 for deer,what's your fav grain?

I bought a wack of PMC Starfire 150gr ammo (27 boxes) from a closing out sale that works great. I also have a pile of Imperial Saber Tips 170gr that get the job done.
 
Last edited:
Wow,175's-125's.sounds like there's quite a few options with the 30.

There can be, depending on the rifle action you have, and the bullets you buy. Tube Magazine levers have to have RN, they usually only come in 150's and 170's commercially. Load your own with the Flex tips bullets from Hornady, and that can change. If you have a Savage 99, 340 or Steven 325, you can load what you want because they are box magazine fed. There may be others out there, but those are the ones I know.
 
Havent got a crack at a deer yet, but I load up with factory loaded 160 grain Hornady Leverevolutions when I go hunting for em. 150's and 170's are your standard factory loads for the 30-30 and Im sure either are plenty sufficient for deer.
 
Try both the 150 and the 170 and which ever one shoots the best is the one to use, it depends on what your rifle likes, but both will get the job done.
 
almost everyone i know uses the 170 , but we run big deer, moose and elk( i don't particularly like a 30-30 for moose and elk,, but i have a savage 99 )
 
Assuming this is about deer hunting,does this question depend more on the distance you will be shooting at than the bullet weight you use?I'm thinking at the typical under 100 yard shot it probably doesn't make any diference at all if its 150 or 170 gr,but of infinately MORE importance is where the bullet goes.....
 
M37-1.jpg

Winchester Silvertip 150 grain.
 
The only deer ive ever shot with my 3030 dropped like a sack of potatos from 170gr Silvertips. The last few years ive been carrying LeverEvolution but havent had the opportunity to shoot at a deer with that gun since.
 
I use a Stevens 325B stuffed with 125 Sierra Spitzers and RL 7 to 2600ft/sec. Kills caribou fast!

Glad to hear that the 125's are working for you. I'm a 125 grain bullet lover too. I just use the spitzers also. One in the chamber and one in the magazine. That's all I ever load up. :D

Cheers,
Barney
 
Personally I go for the surprise factor. I bought a beercase sized box of misc. .30-.30 at a close out sale for a local dealer. got just about every brand and grain made in the last 50 or so years.

I only use my model 94's in fairly heavy bush, so with shots within 20 yards, grain doesn't really matter. It's always a surprise to hear what kind of bang I get.

LOL
 
I shot my New out of the box Winchester 30/30 High Grade rifle today at the range for the first time. Was shooting 170gr Winchester Super X factory loads. The pressure and felt recoil suprised me, it felt more like a 308 recoil. Seems that the old thuty thuty don't have no flies on it.
 
Back
Top Bottom