30-30 for deer,what's your fav grain?

I shot my New out of the box Winchester 30/30 High Grade rifle today at the range for the first time. Was shooting 170gr Winchester Super X factory loads. The pressure and felt recoil suprised me, it felt more like a 308 recoil. Seems that the old thuty thuty don't have no flies on it.

I hear you! It always surprises me how the 170 grain load behaves. Packs a pretty good shove for the size of the cartridge. A light gun is part of it I suppose.
 
I used the 150 gr. Winchester SilverTips on several deer.
Those that didn't fold on the spot just took two or three
hops and that was it. During skinning, I found most of the
bullets caught in the off-side hide like a catcher's mitt.
Perfect performance on short range deer.
 
My father always used 150gn Silvertips, but I have been away from home many years now and I am no longer sure what he uses. Lots of deer taken with that bullet/rifle combo. Not to highjack, but I use 125gn in my Remington 799 (7.62x39mm) and they drop out to 200yds.
 
Assuming this is about deer hunting,does this question depend more on the distance you will be shooting at than the bullet weight you use?I'm thinking at the typical under 100 yard shot it probably doesn't make any diference at all if its 150 or 170 gr,but of infinately MORE importance is where the bullet goes.....
That would be a totally safe assumption since the thread title is:
30-30 for deer,what's your fav grain?

and the Captain Obvious award goes to ...;)
 
This year I made the switch to the Hornady LeverEvolution 160gr and it was devastating on both deer I took this year.

Before I have used Winchester 170 grain Silvertips with great success.
 
30-30 for deer, what's your fav grain?

Just wondering what the hunters that still bag deer with their 30's use.

I recently installed a Williams peep site on the rear of the 94 near the hammer, and firesites on the front. So, I tried the Hornady 160 lever evolution but shot about a foot high and six inches off of centre on a target at 80 yards... WOW, then I tried the Reminton 170 factory grainers and shot dead centre, 6 inches low... So then I picked up a box of Remington 150 grainers and shot dead centre at 80 yards. That's as much accuracy as I need as most shots are within 150 yards.

I'll play with the Hornady's again to see if I can dial them in with the new sites, but for now the Remington 150's will do the job.

I might try some Winchesters 150s and 170s again as that is what I was using with the old buck horn sites.

Good to see that the price of 30-30 ammo is not to pricey so it'll be fun to see waht happens.
 
I killed a deer with the old Standard 170 ST imperials in a 18.5 inch Marlin 336TS. It performed exactly as i envisioned . Lots of penetration even at close range on a quartering shot due to modest velocity, lack of hydrostatic shock therefore you look for it . The shot was at 35 yds, quartering to the front , round penetrated through right lung continued on through liver stopping opposite side near hind leg. Average expansion. Deer ran aprrox 75 yards. I'm sure theres alot better loadings on the market today for Deer than those old,slow 170s. I havent used it since 1986. If thats all you had for moose and many only did years past the 170 was your only choice for penetration and if you had to look for a wounded animal you knew how to and did get your meat.:wave:
 
Speer 130 gr FN handloaded to a velocity that I will not state for fear of being called a liar :cool: - works great, shoots flat (as a .30-30 can) and kills well...

I think i would go with the LEVERevolution ammo if i was still using the short Marlin Carbine. I see 160 FTX energies listed at 1300-1400 ftibs@200yds will the Winchester 170 PPSP has only 1550ftlbs@50yds. This seems like giving the old thutty thutty a new lease on life with my idea of minimun bullet energy for clean kills on Deer @1500ftlbs now stretched to 200 yds. I know people have killed Deer beyond this with the old 170 but remember at these ranges the 170 acts almost like a FMJ with very little expansion. and after seeing bullets fired into deer at 35 yds i know the 170 is only opened up fully there.:wave:
 
Speer 130 gr FN handloaded to a velocity that I will not state for fear of being called a liar :cool: - works great, shoots flat (as a .30-30 can) and kills well...

Mudgunner49: Got a nearby source for those 130 gr Speers? I should also check Epps while I'm there. Perry's by chance for these Speers?

I was gonna load up some 125 gr Speer TNT .30 cal SP and single load (and one in the magazine only) for range goofing off. Then I was gonna load up some of those 130's you mentioned for my "truck" gun Marlin 336W :D

Cheers,
Barney
 
Mudgunner49: Got a nearby source for those 130 gr Speers? I should also check Epps while I'm there. Perry's by chance for these Speers?

I was gonna load up some 125 gr Speer TNT .30 cal SP and single load (and one in the magazine only) for range goofing off. Then I was gonna load up some of those 130's you mentioned for my "truck" gun Marlin 336W :D

Cheers,
Barney

Barney

I got mine SOTB - I also have a goodly supply of the Sierra 125gr JHP that work extremely well in the saddle gun. I might could find a spare box of the 130's around for you to try out if you so desire. Gimme a hoot - I'll be in Barrie for a week in Feb and can drag them down with me...


blake
 
Back
Top Bottom