300 Savage

boychuia

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Location
Toronto, Ontario
Good Morning CGNers,

I was approached to be given a 300 savage rifle as someone is looking to get rid of it as they in the later stages of their life and would rather have someone young own it and take care of it. Great for me absolutely. Still not sure on the make and model but will update when I take posession.

What are your views on the 300 savage round? is it a long distance round or more similar to the 7.62x39 round?

Any information is appreciated as always

cheers,

Ian
 
The 300 Savage was developed for the Savage 99 lever action rifle in 1920, this new caliber produced nearly the same velocity with a 150gr bullet as the 30-06.
But when the .308 Win entered the market it lost popularity. IMO, the 300 Savage is an excellent round for deer, moose & elk with the proper bullet/bullet placement of course.
If you reload and keep pressures in order you'll have a very effective round for most if not all your needs. I load mine with 165gr Hornady IL and Varget powder. A delightfull load with very mild recoil. You'll find plenty of data on the 150gr bullet too.
I hope this helps,
 
It is definitely not similar to the 7.62x39. Very much more comparable to the .308.

As slightly an aside, if I were to buy my first all-around hunting rifle over again, it would be a Savage '99 in .300, instead of the bolt action .30-06 that I did get (though it was fine too).

As far as availability, I've seen ammo at CDN tire, even.

RG

<><
 
the 300 Sav is very similar to the .308 performance wise and is a very good cartridge as previously stated.
Although chambered in other rifles like the Remington 760 it is likely you are going to get a Savage 99,one of the finest lever rifles ever made.
 
.300 Savage model 10

I'm using a 300 Savage model 10 Anniversary and it is very nice.. low recoil and a pleasure to shoot. Looking at the ballistic tables I was surprised to see that the trajectory falls off beyond 200 yards more rapidly than the .308 Win using comparable bullets. I've been using 150 grain federal soft points, but maybe some readers know of a flatter shooting round.

Joe

Good Morning CGNers,

I was approached to be given a 300 savage rifle as someone is looking to get rid of it as they in the later stages of their life and would rather have someone young own it and take care of it. Great for me absolutely. Still not sure on the make and model but will update when I take posession.

What are your views on the 300 savage round? is it a long distance round or more similar to the 7.62x39 round?

Any information is appreciated as always

cheers,

Ian
 
Back
Top Bottom