300wm 200gr 1/10twist barrel?

xcaribooer

Regular
Rating - 100%
405   0   0
Ive got a remington long range Tactical in 300wm , Ive got it for sale but if it doesnt sell and I keep it I was thinking of using it for hunting, I was thinking of a 200gr bullet but I am not sure on what it would preform like with the 1in 10 twist heavy barrel, I dont know alot about twist and all this stuff but is there any reason that this wouldnt be a good thing for moose and bear?
what would be a decent 200gr factory offering to try? if its all good I may handload for it eventually.
 
You might as well stick with 180s. Much better selection of factory loads available and similar performance with less recoil. The only reason to go heavier than 180s is either for mucho tough game (I took 200s to RSA with me but shot nothing with it) or for long range shooting.
 
Just for interests sake, this is what Shilen has to say about twist rates and bullets:

.308
- 8" for bullets heavier than 220gr.
- 10" for bullets up to 220gr.
- 12" for bullets up to 170gr.
- 13"* Ratchet rifled 4 groove
- 14"* for bullets up to 168gr.
- 15"* for bullets up to 150gr.
- 17"* for bullets up to 125 gr.

Mark
 
With all due respect to Shilen, Horse-sh*t!

Firstly, weight has NOTHING to do with the twist requirement of a bullet. Its length and velocity determine that. Look-up "Greenhill Formula". Weight isn't even one of the parameters.

Secondly, 12" twists stabilize 185-210 commercially available match bullets just fine in a .308 Win case.

I agree with Ganderite that your 10" twist will stabilize 220's and even 240's in a Win mag.

FYI, Donp just shot two phenomenal sub .25 MOA groups at 300 yds using Sierra 155's in a 15" twist.
 
Back
Top Bottom