303 brit cordite ammo

mg34

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
139   0   0
i was given some 303 brit ammo that is filled with cordite and berden primers. i hate the primers and was wondering if the cordite can be reloaded into boxer primed ammo and shot with the normal fmj bullet.
 
Pulling the bullets and reusing them makes sense, but what are you achieving by reusing the cordite? Every time I've tried to disassemble the old ball rounds, I've wound up having to pry the stuff out with tweezers.

For the trouble it would take and the essentially trivial cost of propellant, I can't see myself bothering to try - even not considering safety.
 
it may take a little bit of time to take the rounds apart but if you are not doing anything else at the time you have nothing to loose.
 
The cordite is in "stick" form and it's packed in tight lengthwise in the casing. I think I read once that it was inserted in the case before it was necked down, but I may be misremembering.

I can't imagine any way you'd be able to duplicate it in a reload.
 
The cordite was loaded into the cases before they were tapered and necked. There is no practical way to remove the propellant and insert it into other cases.
Why do you hate the Berdan primers? They go bang just as well as any others.
 
LOL. As a kid we used to use the cordite sticks as fuses. Worked well and sacrificed many a hotwheel toy that way. In today's nanny state I would have had Bomb disposal unit called. Had I known when I was 10 that supplies of .303 would dry up I would have bought a truckload. Probably for about $30 too.
I say just use them and reload to whatever you want.
 
LOL. As a kid we used to use the cordite sticks as fuses. Worked well and sacrificed many a hotwheel toy that way.

Me too! Also used it as fuse to set off a black powder, golf ball mortar we made out of a duct-taped old fireworks tube.

And then we shot it in the back yard. Try that today.
 
Why? Cordite is not exactly a choice propelent.
I would say either shoot it as cheap surplus ammo or ......colect it since the cases can't be easily reloaded.
In the heat it becomes unstable. (Reduced loads were used in Africa for this reason).
It has poor shot to shot consistency.
It burns really hot causing untimely barrel throat erosion.
Its longevity is also unpredictable as cordite will react with the brass case over time and break down.(This is seen as oarnge/brown discoloration of the spaghetti like sticks which are in contact with the case.)
There is. More than one reason the Brits stopped using it.
They also stopped using tombac jacketed bullets for a reason.
 
Back
Top Bottom