.303 British

lord-humungous

Regular
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Location
Ottawa
I'm buying this stuff for $25.99 at CT (20 rounds). This is alot more expensive than my other rifles. Where can I buy it in bulk or surplus? Any leads???
 
With the war being over for 60+ years, the bulk has been dried up for many years. Either store bought or reloading is the only way. Gun shows may produce a few but they soon are gone too.
 
Time to start reloading, I paid that price once before and no way in hell I am doing it again.

Reloading will cost you as much as you pretty much want it too, can go the cheap way and get a cheap press or go all out and get a good one. Looking at about 50-70 for a used basic press, 30-40 for used .303 brit dies, hopefully you kept your brass, the powder, primers and bullets vary depending on where you go and what you get.
 
I have lots of spare 303 brass and I reload. Found that reloading is about 1/2 the costs of store bought. A great thing about reloading is that you can tailor your ammo to your gun. I made a marvelous improvement in my 1918 Enfield, from all over the paper to about 2" open sight...100 yards. Well worth the effort....after buying the press, it is only the cost of dies and supplies. I reload all my gun's ammo (except .22). 15 different calibers.
 
If you can cast some lead bullets too it will be even more cheaper, although the initial costs for casting gear will be a bit pricey.
 
Nonus is right, even purchasing good cast bullets for the .303 can cost half of what jacketed bullets can cost, and a savy reloader can get the same velocity and accuracy from cast as jacketed. Finding actual bore/chamber dimensions is important to good results, custom bullet maker M.T. Chambers offers sample packs of diameters to try from .311" to .316", so you can find the right size for the barrel and still chamber the loaded round.
 
Or just slug your barrel and find out that way.

If you are just plinking too you can use a very light load and save a couple grains of powder in each bullet.
 
Reloading is a good idea.THere is a lot of good 2nd hand stuff out there. If you pour your own, you can shoot a lot very economically.I got into lead when a guy got out and I bought all his stuff quite cheap.

Don,t skimp on a press or dies.THat will come back to bite you, also make sure that you are loading at least five calibures to make worth your while.

Grijim
 
If you're only loading small quantities of ammunition, You don't necessarily need a press. The Lee Loader [Cabela's sells them for sure]. A box of ammunition shouldn't take more than an hour or two to load with it. And the Lee Loader only neck sizes, which will prolong the life of your brass, and be a better fit for your rifle. I'm not sure if you can set up a press to only neck size, as I don't have one.

It seems to me that reloading is the way to go these days. I only buy factory ammunition to supply me with cases for my Enfield.
 
Back
Top Bottom