.303 Gallery Ammo and a 56-50 Starr Carbine at the range

CMichaud

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
72   0   1
So my buddy and I went out and shot some different rifles the other day. Along with a Starr carbine and 577-450 Martini-Henry, we pulled the trigger on my 303 MM.

He had purchased an auction lot that came with about 20 .303 gallery rounds. I reckoned that they would be fine to try in the MM with the lighter load and lead bullets.

The ammo was 1916 dated. We tried about 6 rounds of which 4 failed to fire.

Is there any collector value to this 1916 gallery ammo?

Here is a pic of the Starr in action. DGW reloadable filled with 2F. Lead cast 50-70 bullet.



 
Last edited:
^ Hahahahahaha...don't shoot that stuff! Not only is it collectible, it's cordite and corrosive primed. Clean your gun. It will rust!

I believe it was Smellie who I've heard tell that the C broad arrow Canadian stuff from Dominion was sought after in 1916! Never mind 2015! Laugh2
 
Nice pics of the Starr.

I'm waiting to do the same with mine.

No Canadian Issue Starr's for years, then all of a sudden a bunch are unearthed!

Do you have any more pics of the Starr?
 
I'll see what I have. It is a broad arrow marked Starr. I had to replace the spring but amazingly in good shape for its age.

Re cleaning the Metford, I shot a couple of hand loads in BP as well. One was 55gr of 3f. Stout but nice. The bp alone meant a good cleaning for all of them. Lots of black sludge to be sure.
 
^ Hahahahahaha...don't shoot that stuff! Not only is it collectible, it's cordite and corrosive primed. Clean your gun. It will rust!

I believe it was Smellie who I've heard tell that the C broad arrow Canadian stuff from Dominion was sought after in 1916! Never mind 2015! Laugh2

Canadian made ammo was always sought after especially MK7Z ball ammo because we started using non corrosive primers and nitro powder before the brits
 
Here is a Starr with a bit less shadow. The broad arrow and WD is under that smudge towards the butt plate. Somebody appears to have filled it with duratite and I only found it by accident

cheers mooncoon

 
Dominion Arsenal did not switch to non corrosive until the early 50s.
Commercial ammo companies switched about 1930.
 
Gallery ammo marked GP-B is desirable for collecting. There is also a lot of Mk VII brass that was loaded with GP-B loads and bullets, and these aren't very collectible. From the headstamps, you have the former.
 
My mistake, Canadian not British.

'Cartridge Gallery Practice .303 inch Mark II (Smokeless) Canadian Pattern'

Approved for Canadian service in 1906.

125 grain bullet over 5-1/2 grains of smokeless powder.

Early ones were loaded into recycled Mk.II Ball cases, later in new made GP-B cases (Gallery Practice- Ball).

IMG_0160.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 96
Back
Top Bottom