.308 Surplus! Leave them in your safe!

Prices will continue to rise because idiots keep buying them. Also milsurp ammo is a finite resource; eventually it will run out. I'm currently learning to reload because I got fed up with the prices. Just finished ABCs of Reloading, and am trucking my way through Lyman's Reloading Handbook.
 
When milsurp is the same price as Winchester white box, AE, s&b, and, privi, it effectively has run "dry". Not sure if the trend will plateau first, but we're almost there.

Two years ago it went for under .50 a round or I walked. 13 years ago I got IVI for free.
 
But what can I do?

I agree it's frustrating that prices are twice what it was. I get your point regarding the relative accuracy of surplus.

Sadly, at that time, I was a student. And my father didn't pass me an M14, I discovered it and bought an M1A last year.

So to me, the cheapest mil-spec (that's what it's made to shoot right?) is a good deal. Be it surplus or Winchester or PMC. I didn't start with a pile of surplus, I have to stock from now, at around .90$/rnd.

I heard many praise to reloading. Still thinking about it. I guess that my 2hr shooting + 2hr cleaning would then be +2hr reloading?

How many rnd / hr do you roll? Including all steps, cleaning, sizing, etc.
 
I agree it's frustrating that prices are twice what it was. I get your point regarding the relative accuracy of surplus.

Sadly, at that time, I was a student. And my father didn't pass me an M14, I discovered it and bought an M1A last year.

So to me, the cheapest mil-spec (that's what it's made to shoot right?) is a good deal. Be it surplus or Winchester or PMC. I didn't start with a pile of surplus, I have to stock from now, at around .90$/rnd.

I heard many praise to reloading. Still thinking about it. I guess that my 2hr shooting + 2hr cleaning would then be +2hr reloading?

How many rnd / hr do you roll? Including all steps, cleaning, sizing, etc.
If you live in the lowermainland. Next month I am getting some Canadian I think my uncle said 1993 bandolier's with the IVI re-loadable ammo that already come's on the stripper clips. We could go halfer's. It should be enough to start you out. Plus it works perfectly with the M1A rifle. You won't even have to change the mag ;)
 
really, last I checked we live in a free society, all this bitshing about what others charge is simply socialistic almost communistic crap. leave the guy alone he can charge whatever he likes period, for now, unless you price police get elected into office.

I call BS. The blade of a free market cuts both ways. A moron asking stupid prices will be outed by the market place, as just happened here.

Communists support rape and pillage of the marketplace.
 
Well, market demanding and production activity make the price. If nothing get improved in coming future, I wouldn't be surprised if the surplus goes to $1.5 per round.
 
Yes, supply and demand. I still have a case of Hirtenberger that I got for around $300 or so in the early 90's when Norc M-14's were just a handful. The flooding of M-14's have driven demand up incredibly and you guessed it, the supply is gone. Therefore prices will continue to rise and so will reloading costs.
Yes, mine remains in the safe for me or I could sell it for $1000 easy and make a tidy $700 profit. Any takers?

The cheap part is buying the gun today.
 
I miss the days of buying a 1000 round crate of Portugese Surplus from Precision Reloading for $350, taxes in. Can't even reload for that price. I still keep 'junk' in the empty crates.

However, Hornady FMJ's and BLC2 keep it relatively cheap and very accurate.
 
I miss the days of buying a 1000 round crate of Portugese Surplus from Precision Reloading for $350, taxes in. Can't even reload for that price. I still keep 'junk' in the empty crates.

However, Hornady FMJ's and BLC2 keep it relatively cheap and very accurate.




You should be able to load cast stuff for that price.
 
Yes, supply and demand. I still have a case of Hirtenberger that I got for around $300 or so in the early 90's when Norc M-14's were just a handful. The flooding of M-14's have driven demand up incredibly and you guessed it, the supply is gone. Therefore prices will continue to rise and so will reloading costs.
Yes, mine remains in the safe for me or I could sell it for $1000 easy and make a tidy $700 profit. Any takers?

The cheap part is buying the gun today.


I miss the days of buying a 1000 round crate of Portugese Surplus from Precision Reloading for $350, taxes in. Can't even reload for that price. I still keep 'junk' in the empty crates.

However, Hornady FMJ's and BLC2 keep it relatively cheap and very accurate.


Well...
I remember buying Czech made (admitedly its corrosive) .308 FMJ for Can$100 per 1000 from Caina company in the mid 90's.
I bought 5 crates, and if I knew then how it would go, I would have bought a lot more.
Tragically, I am down to about ~800 remaining.

But Northern Skies still wins with free IVI:)
 
I remember the days of that Norinco Corrosive surplus copperwashed. In those days you had your pick of Czech, Hungarian, Chinese, on and on from Century Arms, Districorp and others. Usually you'd bypass the corrosive stuff because you had the choice and everyone ignored that Norc stuff and called it cheap crap. Now it's gold if you can find it!

I now have filled those crates full of berdan primed brass that someday will go to the scrapyard in a truck for meltdown. I think I have close to a ton of worn out or non reloadable scrap. Just waiting for the right time when brass hits high.
 
Have you seen this?

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=913&idcategory=0

THIS IS THE LAST OF THIS AMMO. BLOW OUT PRICE!!!1000 rounds of .308 caliber ammunition
.308 caliber
7.62 X 51mm (.308)
1000 rounds
10 boxes - 100 rounds each
1982 head stamp
Manufactured in Argentina
We have shot thousands of rounds of this ammo and it is some of the most consistent surplus .308 we have ever used. This is ideal for FAL/M1 rifles as it was made for them.
Free Shipping on all cases of ammunition.
We will ship to any destination within the USA with the exception of legally prohibited areas.
Very competitive price for high quality ammunition. Limited supply.
Manufacturing Attributes
147 grain copper
FMJ made on FN machinery
FN brass
FLB Marked Head stamp
Berdan Primed
Non-corrosive, Brass Cased, Crimped/Sealed Primers
Price: $499.00
 
Back
Top Bottom