308 vs 30-06

"...found that 30-06 has better ballistics than 308..." The ballistics are identical. The .308 was developed to get the same ballistics as the .30-06 using the then new powders. The '06 gives about 100 fps more velocity with like bullet weights.
"...30-06 uses less powder..." Nope. More powder with like bullet weights and powders. Not by much though. Just a few grains.
"...need recommendations for both..." 165 grain hunting bullets and IMR4895, IMR4064, H4895 or Varget for both. A 165 out of either will kill any game you care to hunt.
"...kill grizzly quickly with..." Yep. With the right bullet placed properly. The .270 Win has killed big bears with no fuss too.
 
I stopped the Grizz charging me at 40 feet. Does that count as defensive?

Sounds pretty defensive to me! Good for you for keeping your cool... The question is if you KNEW that same situation would happen again tomorrow would you keep a 308 or 30/06 on hand or opt for something bigger. Personally I would be reaching for a 375 H&H... I know the 308 is more than capable of killing a grizzly but if it's running at me I want a bit more wiggle room and enough power to punch through it the long way...


Jeff
 
Sounds pretty defensive to me! Good for you for keeping your cool... The question is if you KNEW that same situation would happen again tomorrow would you keep a 308 or 30/06 on hand or opt for something bigger. Personally I would be reaching for a 375 H&H... I know the 308 is more than capable of killing a grizzly but if it's running at me I want a bit more wiggle room and enough power to punch through it the long way...


Jeff

If it were to happen again? I sure's hell hope not. One scar on the nose is enough!:mad:

But, I would take anything I could shoot well for defence. .40 S&W, 500 Linebaugh, anything that is at hand

failing that, the 30-06 would be my preference:p
 
.30-06 vs. .308

I have owned and shot .308 cal. rifles for many years. For long range silhouette, I use the Hornaday 168gr. BTMN bullet...superb accuracy...

For hunting, I recommend the 165gr. Nosler Partition......

If you put a 165gr. .308 slug or a 180 gr. .30-06 slub in a moose's boiler room, he won't know the difference........success is in shot placement
 
I had some Americans laughing at me on a moose hunt in Newfoundland a few years ago. I shot my moose 3 times(2 in the boiler, one up the nose!) with my .308/180 partitions, and then once more on the ground(in the ear!)
The next morning one of the Americans shot a cow moose with his
.300 wsm. He never found her. I would shoot a moose again with the .308 if it was all I had, but I'd be practising hitting a gallon jug repeatedly at 50 yds, not trying for 2 inch groups at 200yds. The .308 is one of the best all round cartridges ever made, but my best results have been with 165 gr.
 
Here is another angle on the comparison. I Have both and like both, and I think that the .308 is best with 165 grain bullets for everything, and the 30-06 is best with 180 grain bullets for everything. As it works out, velocity is identical in my rifles, 2650-2700 with either. I can't tell any difference in effectiveness on game if bullets of equal quality are used. If forced to choose only one, it would be the .308 but for no really compelling reason ( maybe because of my contrary nature and so many shooters blindly repeating he old saw that the 30-06 is the most versatile big game round) It comes down to the rifles they are chambered in more than the chambering IMHO.
 
With the both shooting the same bullet weights (up to 180 grains), I am not sure the animal will tell the difference. If you are inclined to shoot the heavier bullets - 220 grainers or so - then the .30-06 will handle them at useful velocities.
 
Back
Top Bottom