Hi guys, so I am going to keep this super short. I am looking to purchase a precision rifle, and after discussing with my father on the subject (SUnday morning breakfast chat lol), he asked me, if I thought that having a .300 win mag rifle was THAT much better than a .308.
Essentially his argument was, is the extra cost of ammunition (and the rifle I want - TRG42) really that much more advantageous than the other option I was considering, the .308 (specifically a Savage BAS-K 308), especially when surplus ammo is available for range practice.
Or should I NEVER use surplus ammo in a precision target rifle (in the 308 case)? In which case, lebaron sells both 308 and 300 winmag at the same price per box of 20 (I went in and asked).
Just curious, is there any HUGE advantage to having the 300 win mag? Is the drop significantly less at 1000 yards, for example? Is the flight of the bullet straighter and more consistent than 308? (I was reading a bit on another forum, and someone had reviewed the 300 WINMAG as one of the best long distance rounds).
Will I notice an enormous difference using the 300 winmag, over the 308? (in distance, power, accuracy - even though that depends on the rifle a lot too...)
Let me know guys, this kind of help/info could GREATLY aid me in making a decision as to which rifle I buy.
Thanks a bunch!
Essentially his argument was, is the extra cost of ammunition (and the rifle I want - TRG42) really that much more advantageous than the other option I was considering, the .308 (specifically a Savage BAS-K 308), especially when surplus ammo is available for range practice.
Or should I NEVER use surplus ammo in a precision target rifle (in the 308 case)? In which case, lebaron sells both 308 and 300 winmag at the same price per box of 20 (I went in and asked).
Just curious, is there any HUGE advantage to having the 300 win mag? Is the drop significantly less at 1000 yards, for example? Is the flight of the bullet straighter and more consistent than 308? (I was reading a bit on another forum, and someone had reviewed the 300 WINMAG as one of the best long distance rounds).
Will I notice an enormous difference using the 300 winmag, over the 308? (in distance, power, accuracy - even though that depends on the rifle a lot too...)
Let me know guys, this kind of help/info could GREATLY aid me in making a decision as to which rifle I buy.
Thanks a bunch!



















































