.308 Win Questions

jckw

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a new 700 SPS and I'm looking for suggestions for two types of ammo:
1) match-grade, boat-tail, FMJ for competition shooting between 100-300m (I imagine this will be 168+ grain)
2) cheaper, medium-quality, preferrably FMJ for practice target shooting between 100-200m (and possibly hunting)
And tell me WHY you suggest it

Also, some side questions:
3) What brand/type of 7.62 NATO ammo does the CF use for their C6s? Or what is the closest thing I can get to it in .308 Win?
4) Does anyone have info to general ballistics properties/graphs/diagrams/charts of .308 Win (for any grains and any projectile weight)?
 
It has been a long time since I bought factory ammo so I can't really sugest any, but just a word of warning FMJ is not allowed for hunting. You may want to look at taking up reloading and taylor your loads to your and your rifle's liking.
 
shoot what you can afford to practice with, and if you are going to hunt with it, you cant use FMJ on big game so you are going to have to use a few types of ammo to suit your needs.
 
i agree that reloading to tailor suit your needs is ideal, however, you must be comfortable with your arms and have a deal of knowlage and understanding before you jump in to this. i would advise you to get lees reloading manual, and read it over. this will give you all the info you are looking for and it will also give you an idea of what benifits to hunting, and target shooting you will see. for one, if you are shooting competition, i suggest you reload. you rifle will demand a fine tuned cartridge to keep up, and you will be able to "plink" with the same load for the same price.
 
1) 155, 168 and 175 grain match ammo is loaded by most of the major ammo makers. Hornady(A-Max bullets are rumoured not to be that great), etc. Cheap it ain't though. Don't use factory ammo myself. Match grade ammo isn't an FMJ either. They're usually HPBT's.
If you're not reloading, you need to try a box of as many brands and bullet weights as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best.
Mind you, an SPS is a hunting rifle, not a target. It'll do for informal target shooting, but will be outclassed by match barreled rifles. Don't let that stop you though. Target shooting is great fun.
2) Practice with the ammo you intend using. Whether or not FMJ's are legal for hunting depends on where you are. No mention of 'em in Ontario's hunting regs, but they are in Alberta's regs. Mind you, commercial FMJ's aren't the same as milsurp ammo.
3) IVI. Currently owned by General Dynamics, as I recall. Reliable ammo, but not terribly accurate. Certainly not match grade ammo.
4) Most of the manuafacturers have ballistics tables for their ammo on their site. This'll give you a start though. http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ballistics/308_winchester.html
 
I have tried almost every match ammunition available and don't find much difference in them all. In my Rem 700P they will all shoot sub par .50MOA groups, some much better when my head is in the game.

For reloading, I love anything Lapua, they are all accurate, but my trusted load is a 175gr. Sierra Match King. Use it as my match load, have shot several .25Moa groups out to 300m, have used them at 1000m as well and have had excellent success. I load them to the same specs as the factory load. Does a great job. It is a BTHP design, I find them slightly more accurate than some other match bullets like Lapua's Lock-base design, although by a slim margin, enough than it is probably the shooter (me) is making the error.
 
all great advice, buy several boxes of different ammo, when you find the one your gun likes load up on it, buy as much as you can and stick with it, that way it will always shoot how you expect it to.
 
I just bought a new 700 SPS and I'm looking for suggestions for two types of ammo:
1) match-grade, boat-tail, FMJ for competition shooting between 100-300m (I imagine this will be 168+ grain)
2) cheaper, medium-quality, preferrably FMJ for practice target shooting between 100-200m (and possibly hunting)
And tell me WHY you suggest it

Also, some side questions:
3) What brand/type of 7.62 NATO ammo does the CF use for their C6s? Or what is the closest thing I can get to it in .308 Win?
4) Does anyone have info to general ballistics properties/graphs/diagrams/charts of .308 Win (for any grains and any projectile weight)?

The 168 grain match bullet was designed for 300 metre shooting. The 155 match was designed for longer range shooting. It will likely work just as well for 300 metre. The 168 grain may not work well for longer ranges.
Any of the winchester, remington or federal FMJ will do. As already mentioned, they are not for hunting, but you can also buy any of the brand names in 150 grain and essentially duplicate the FMJ load, for velocity and trajectory (you still need to sight in with the hunting ammunition.
The CF will use a variety of ammunition, not necessarily IVI. It is all loaded with 147 grain FMBT, just like the Winchester, Remington, Federal FMJ loads.
Do your own internet search for ballistic charts.
 
"...The 155 match was designed for longer range shooting..." Palma matches require 'em. Mind you, typical Palma match rifles are very heavy, single shot, custom rifles.
 
One of my friends who got a new 700 Varmint SF went to shoot it today. He bought Hornady ammo and the range staff said Hornady uses thick brass, good for reloading. Is that true?
 
One of my friends who got a new 700 Varmint SF went to shoot it today. He bought Hornady ammo and the range staff said Hornady uses thick brass, good for reloading. Is that true?

Not necessarily thicker...just better quality.

Speaking of thicker brass, I read that 7.62 NATO has thicker brass cases resulting in less powder inside, we're talking about something around the lines of 2grains. Is this true?
 
Back
Top Bottom