32-40 ammunition

unstableryan

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
A buddy of mine picked up a beautiful clean marlin in 32-40.

Anyone have a source for ammo? I know I know. reload.. He doesn't and I do so I might end up making them.

Anyone able to tell me anything interesting about the cartridge, etc?

Thanks,
 
Well it was orig. a Ballard/Marlin target round, available in some of the most accurate single shots of the times, once considered the most accurate cartridge made. Then and now very accurate and used in 200 yd. off hand Shuetzen Competition and CBA benchrest Competition in the "plain base - breech seated" class. Made the move to leverguns with Winchester's adoption, and was an excellent original round in the '94 along with the .38/55, both BP rounds and was dropped after the intro. of nickel steel barrels, and the .32 Special, though this didn't happen overnight. I have shot an awful lot of .32/40 rounds through my orig.1885 Win. and my 94 Win.....Ben
 
A synopsis about the cartridge is here. http://www.chuckhawks.com/32-40Win.htm
Epp's lists ammo, but not brass. No mention of brand or price. Likely from OWS. Not likely to be cheap though.
It'll be a reloading thing. None of the major ammo makers is currently loading it.
Higginson's lists brass. Uses an RCBS #2 shell holder. Same one as the .32 Special. Dies shouldn't be too hard to get. Lee, RCBS, Hornady and Redding make 'em. Likely special order from a shop, but you might get lucky at a gun show.
 
Good luck, I've been able to get the dies and 45 rds of brass. The cartridge hasn't been loaded in the US since 1940, except for a Commemmorative load for the "John Wayne" Commemorative. If you find a source, please share!
 
I have a Savage 1899B in 32-40

Straight walled cartridges and octagon barrels...it just doesn't get any better!

resized 30-30 works for brass...they end up a bit short tho.

I could sell him some factory rounds but he'd have to take a second mortgage. ;)
 
I'm getting the idea from reading about the rifle that I should offer him 400 bucks for it cause it's still in pretty good shape for being old :) Even though ammo hasn't been made since WW2.

Think he'll go for it?
 
"...still in pretty good shape for being old..." That's what I keep telling people about me. snicker.
"...Think he'll go for it?..." Depends on what he paid for it and how much he wants to keep it.
 
Back
Top Bottom