32/40 vs 38/55 @ 200yds

cdnrokon

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Location
Manitoba
Thinking of another project rifle caliber. our range tops out at 200yds and I would like to build a single shot rifle . I have been reading about case forming 30/30 up to 32/40 . I have a large amount of 30/30 brass and could buy a case forming die for 32/40.
On the other hand i have had a 38/55 in a remington rolling block and that was a nice round to shoot...i could also in a pinch shoot that in a no wind silhouette match out to 500yds.

I was going to either order a Ron Smith barrel in either caliber.. your thoughts ? pros and cons?
 
How many rounds will you shoot at the 200 yards vs 500?

Do you cast your own bullets? If so it may seem like a minor issue but the cost for buying bullets or lead for casting will be lower for the smaller and lighter .32 caliber. If you enjoy frequent plinking there's something to be said for making the bullet dollar stretch out a bit more.

And I guess the last thing to look into is what twist rates Ron can provide. Does he have one which would mate up with your preferred bullet weight in either caliber?

Have you already asked yourself all these questions? :d
 
my shooting partner and I have over 2000 lbs pure lead and we have been casting for years, I guess a phone call to Ron should be in order and see what he can make and what he can suggest ?
 
I like both cartridges with black powder at 200. I have a Ron Smith barreled Ruger #1 in .32-40 that is very good on a calm day at 200. My other .32-40's haven't been quite as good with black. One of my best ever targets has been with a CPA in .38-55 shooting breech seated bullets over plain Goex Fg.

I've never tried forming .32-40 from .30-30, but have done some using Winchester .38-55 brass. No annealing or form dies were needed, I just ran the cases into a .32-40 sizing die and they were good to go.

Chris.
 
Hi, I'm your obligatory bad influence.
They're both pretty neat calibres, aren' t they? Hard to choose between them, isn't it?
Don't BOTH deserve a place in your heart, & cabinet?
Getting both means saving yourself from the regrets of choosing one or the other.....
---JPM---
 
now here is more fuel for the fire, I have a project action 1906 Winchester low wall in 22rf.... you can now get drop in parts from MVA to change it to centerfire, single or double set triggers... do i change this to a center fire? or leave the orig. block in it and make another single shot gem in 22rf with a new barrel/wood/sights.I also have a shiloh sharps 26" barrelled rifle that is in 45/70 ...great rifle for hunting ...have another with a 30" barrel that i shoot for silhouette.. do i rip the 26" barrel off and rebarrel in 38/55 ?
 
I own both calibers and what I found with the 32-40 was that the bullet was not heavy enough to knock a hard set ram down at 400 yards. In my case, I used a fast twist barrel which allowed me to shoot a 210 grain bullet for extra oomph. I do know of one person who shot a 38-55 at the same rams and his bullets had no problem in knocking the rams over. I also have a 38-56 also with a fast twist barrel that allowed me to shoot 300 grain bullets and they worked well at 500 meters, provided I actually hit the target
One last thought; before buying a forming die, try forming the 32-40 shells with your ordinary loading dies; I do not recall using a forming die for my gun


cheers mooncoon
 
I form 32-40 from 30/30 brass and I just use the regular die. Nothing too it, I do anneal first and then press it part way, lube again and press the rest of the way and you're done.
 
Back
Top Bottom