32 Cal BP Patches

Crappieguy

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Location
Winnipeg
Trying to find out what diameter the patch should be for a 32 cal ball.
Ball dia. is .310.
Another CGN member told me to use a .010 " cotton T shirt for patches but , I'd like to buy a punch that would cut patches.
If anyone out there knows ...I'd sure appreciate the input.
Thanks in advance
 
Last edited:
I haven't used a .32 myself but in Sam Fadala's Black Powder Loading Manual he tests a .32 cal. Mowrey Squirrel rifle with a .310 ball and a .015" Ox-Yoke Precision blue striped patch.

He tested a Navy Arms .32 cal. Country Boy Side Hammer with a .310 ball and a .013 Irish linen patch.

He tested a Thompson/Center .32 cal. Cherokee with a .010 patch.

Each rifle is different so you should try out a few different patches/lubes and see what works best for your rifle.
 
patches

greetings-method i sent you gives a .875 patch which works very well in our .34 thru .375 squirrel guns and as well in both lepage style .36 cal pistols. send me a p/m with address and i,ll mail some to you. regards, bill
 
I use a fairly thin patch around .010" thick and cut them at the muzzle. Gun is an older Dixie poor boy in 32 cal. Bottom line is cut your first few patches and pick some up afterwards to get the diameter. You probably would be wise to punch them a little larger than a cut patch to allow for being a little off center.
I think you will probably have to go to a relatively thin patch because of the small bore diameter. I also would not use a old T shirt because it will be variable in thickness; once you have settled on a patch thickness, buy new fabric using a micrometer

cheers mooncoon
 
I use the traditions patch for my Cherokee 32. They are .15 and about an inch in diameter and lubes with wonderlube. Works great with triple 7 not so much with goex. Get a brass ramrod if you must shoot black.
 
I buy light linen from the fabric store or thin linen Tea towels on sale. These get cut into strips about 1" wide, soaked in lube, rolled, and then used as patches. I cut the patch at the muzzle with the ball started and flush with the muzzle.
I have found no advantage to using round precut patches over square precut patches either. So long as the cloth was the right thickness to take up the space between the ball and the bore with just a bit of friction going down a clean bore groups were the same size.
I find precut patches to be a pain to centre. I have also found the ready made precut patches to be rather thick and less than pleasant to separate in cold weather.

I prefer light linen to cotton.but have used both.
 
Back
Top Bottom