32 rimfire cartridge question - an odd one

H Wally

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
193   0   0
Alrighty, here's a unique question:

On your 32 rimfire pistol, how far towards the center does the hammer/firing pin notch the rim of the cartridge? I'm focussing on how many mm's the gouge is, from rim towards the center. Ideally I'd like to know what kind of gun it is too, in case there's variation between different guns.
 
My Forehand & Wadsworth Pat 1877 No .32 Double Action leaves a 2.75-3mm long notch in the rim, chisel shaped firing pin just like most. I had one of the same gun that only left a 1.5-2mm long notch though but the hammer had been slightly modified.

I'm thinking it was to create more pressure in a smaller area for more reliable deeper indentation, but my current gun has a nice strong main spring so its a non issue, it damn near cuts into the soft copper rims.

My Remington No. 4 in .38RF, has a mixture between a cone and chisel shaped pin, its more rounded on the end instead of blade like. It leaves about a 3mm long by 1-1.5mm wide indent as well.

I'll try and take some pictures of some empties tommorow, I don't fire my pocket guns heavily though and tend to use light reloads. I keep my factory ammo like its gold :). Still I should have some empty cases kicking around somewhere.
 
the blade varies considerably depending on the make and model of gun. On some the pin is round with a flat end. The biggest signifcants is whether or not you can mount a blank 22 or a hilti shell in the center of the case and be able to fire it. In some cases the blank has to be mounted off center and more or less always has to be off center for cartridges larger than 32. On guns like the Spencer and I think the Peabody, the blade strikes on the side of the rim but in a vertical orientation.
If you are making 32 rimfire cases, you want the blank primer to sit about .010" high or proud of the main cartridge case and that means you have to thin the rim unless you have excessive head space

cheers mooncoon
 
the blade varies considerably depending on the make and model of gun. On some the pin is round with a flat end. The biggest signifcants is whether or not you can mount a blank 22 or a hilti shell in the center of the case and be able to fire it. In some cases the blank has to be mounted off center and more or less always has to be off center for cartridges larger than 32. On guns like the Spencer and I think the Peabody, the blade strikes on the side of the rim but in a vertical orientation.
If you are making 32 rimfire cases, you want the blank primer to sit about .010" high or proud of the main cartridge case and that means you have to thin the rim unless you have excessive head space

cheers mooncoon

Yep, that's a big portion of why I'm asking what kind of gun these measurements are coming from. I don't have enough experience with 32 rimfires in general to know which ones have large, or small blades and how they strike. I know the idea won't work with anything larger than 32rimfire, but within that there may be guns that just won't work at all, and some that are better suited to it than others.


Make and model?

What are the markings? Post a pic if you can.
You didn't read the question eh? ;) Just hassling :)

The question is for people who are shooting 32 rimfires to measure their fired brass, find out the length of the strike mark on the fired case, and also note what kind of gun it was that fired it to determine if certain makes/models of guns chambered in 32 rimfire have an inherently larger or smaller striking blade (recognizing that there will be some variation due to quality control and age/wear).
 
The centered .22 acorn primed reloadable cases I used to make worked in all the 32 rf revolvers I tried but IIRC Dingus couldn't get them to work in a C Sharps 4 barrel....
 
You didn't read the question eh? ;) Just hassling :)

OK, you're trying to identify what gun a found piece of brass was fired in.

I thought you were trying to identify a gun by it's hammer strike.

~~~~~~

Shape of the FP will aid in determination also.
 
haha - nope, just trying to figure out how long the hammer strike is on the average 32 rimfire. I like playing around with ideas... I've started a number of these kinds of threads and generally cgn'ers are kind enough to humour me, and this is easier than buying a whole ton of 32 rimfire revolvers just to measure the length of their strike marks :p
 
Back
Top Bottom