.32 rimfire legality

mmatt

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I know that everyone here understands that .32 rimfire guns that were manufactured before 1898 are legal antiques and are legal to own.

However, the Criminal Code states that all .32 calibre handguns are prohibited - and this is what a local police officer is using to tell me that my handgun is prohibited. (he is telling me this as a fellow range member and not as a police officer... yet)

Can someone please provide me with a link to an official website where it clearly states that this firearm is 100% legal?

Thanks.

mmatt
------
 
Go to the RCMP/CFP website. You will be able to link to the official definition of what constitutes prescribed and deemed antiques.
 
Here is a link to the criminal code: http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/stat/rsc-1985-c-c-46/latest/rsc-1985-c-c-46.html

At the very beginning of part III, firearms and other weapons it defines prohibs as being short barrel or 32/25. The next page it says that antiques are deemed not to be firearms for section 91-95, 99-101, 103-107 and 117.03, so even if it is "sort of" a prohib, as long it is a prescribed antique you cant be charged with anything from those excluded sections.
 
Not all 32 CFs are Prohibs.

32 Protector for the Protector Palm pistol is AOK as Antique its a CF 32 cal cartridge.
32 44 CF for the S&W NM # 3 is also not a prohib caliber in a Antique.
 
(he is telling me this as a fellow range member and not as a police officer... yet)
The fact that an LEO was not acting on what he was certrain was a prohibitive weapon sets off some alarm bells.

Do not start playing a game with someone who may or may not enforce rules he makes up in his head. Do not do his homemwork for him as a 'range buddy'. LEOs are very effective because they are never 'off duty' (chances are your under investigation right now so show the proper docs to your lawyer and tell range LEO to contact him next time he accuses you of a made up crime.)

NB firearms owners put up with enough BS not to need more undercover police making up more new rules as they go.
 
LOL, I just had a thought, while not a prohibited weapon your 32 is rifled and exceeds .223 cal so I guess you can't transport it outside of a big game season in NB anymore!
You wont need to worry about run ins at the range anymore cause you can't bring it out of your house. As it is illegal to hunt with a handgun not even bear/deer season is an excuse to take it out. (i.e your range card is not legal authority to transport your 30-30 in january)
While the made up NB firearms laws seriously restrict use of legal modern sporting arms it appears now that they could totally remove the ability to shoot our antiques.

When it gets to be too much there lots of space left in the civilized portions of Canada, you wont miss the lobster and fiddleheads that much.
 
I wasted the first 25 years of my life in New Brunswick. I have lived in Ontario for almost 15 years and I only return to NB every couple of years to remind myself why I will never live there again.
 
i went through the same problem with a 32 rimfire antique and had to listen to a lecture from an r.c.m.p. officer on why i would have to surrender my gun.her assumption was that it was a rimfire and was prohibited . she would have been correct if it was 22 rimfire but it was 32 wich i pointed out wich makes it exempt . the law is wrote to favour the 32 caliber in this instance.enjoy your gun.
 
Go up to the sticky titled "link to CFC Antique Regulations". On page two you will find the pertinent regs scanned in. In particular you are looking for SOR 98-464 which contains the list of caliber pistols not considered antiques. On that same page you will find cc84 1(b) which says that prescribed guns are antiques and cc 84 3 which tells you that antiques are exempt from registration.

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks moncoon. Printed and in pistol case. :)

And to david - I also have a letter from the NB Minister of Natural Resources that says I can use my range card to transport my "restricted-non-restricted" :rolleyes: guns to the range so long as I am on a "reasonable route". What a bunch of hooey. :puke:

I moved to NB from SW-ON so I still consider it a step up - a small step, but up non-the-less. I'd like to be out west where it's a bit more free, but all my family is here.

Oh well. Good thing I like .22LR so much. :D
 
RCMP are poorly educated on gun laws especially antiques. Tell him to go read the law before making comments on something he knows nothing about.



I know that everyone here understands that .32 rimfire guns that were manufactured before 1898 are legal antiques and are legal to own.

However, the Criminal Code states that all .32 calibre handguns are prohibited - and this is what a local police officer is using to tell me that my handgun is prohibited. (he is telling me this as a fellow range member and not as a police officer... yet)

Can someone please provide me with a link to an official website where it clearly states that this firearm is 100% legal?

Thanks.

mmatt
------
 
mmatt: Yeah your right it is not that bad. You just gotta take advantage of what legal use opportunities are available. i.e Get a spring/fall bear tag, hold a varmit liscence etc.

Your lucky you got a long term DNR 'note' I used to only get a 2 hour permission slip!

With the recent ruling disallowing the range cards as transport permits I would go to extra lengths to not look like I am coming from the range and would not be giving unwarranted permission for vehicle searches etc. reasonable route is just too open for interpretation.

BTW in BC it is required by law that every tax paying, law abiding, sobre citizen transport at least one big bore uncased on the passenger seat to no specific destination at least once a month LOL. Which is of no inconvinience what with 7 months of big game season. Oh yeah and those red circles don't exist here. It is kinda like being an Irving with out the tax bill or stigma.
 
Contact the CFC about obtaining a letter certifying your .32 Rimfire is an antique and not subject to registration.
I have one for my .32 rimfire.
 
I have a RCMP antique status letter for my 32-44 S&W some people just don't know the rules. I've had arguments with fellow verifiers who should know better one fellow who said he was a verifier for his business had a Webley MKII for sale I told him that it had antique status and that he should de-register it .He said it did not because you could buy ammo for it I informed him that there was a list of calibers now He didn't beleive me .
To register an antique is in a way fraud it should not be in the system as it is exempt from registration.
 
Back
Top Bottom