.32 Rimfires with smokeless loads, a few questions.

Tyockell18

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
Location
Not really sure.
Hey guys,

While I was using really mild unique loads, I wish to back away from any faster burning powders, preferably even to slower than 2400. So what would be a good powder thats relatively easy to find?.


Also:

I'm just curious, as there are many smokeless powders available that burn much slower than black powder does.

I'm wondering if anyone here has successfully worked their way down the line to a smokeless powder that you can actually fill your .32RF cases with getting good velocities with less peak pressure and curve than original BP.

I know its possible as others have done it with other cartridges, just curious if anyone here has tried with the little pea shooters and what your results were.

I'm using the .22 acorn offset from HC-Collections.

Also, Does anyone have any ideas on what type of smokeless they were using to load factory ammo?. They obviously were aware that alot of BP guns were in circulation and loaded them accordingly but just curious about burn rates ect.

Thanks guys.
 
Bullseye is the perfect powder for this application. It's a very fast powder that will not come close to filling the case. It's used widely in low pressure loads, and in antiques.

Why do you want a full case? If it's so you can't double-charge, I suggest that you simply pay attention while you're loading.
 
the problem is not the burn rate of smokeless relative to black but that smokeless pressures increase exponentially as the pressure goes up while I don't think that black powder pressures increase quite that rapidly. In other words, you can quickly reach a point where small increases in the amount of smokeless can result in large increases in pressure. About the only smokeless powder that I can think of relative to you might be Trail Boss

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom