.357 Mag + Pyrodex + HBLWC = ?

Metman2

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
For an experiment :stirthepot2: to test the ventilation limits at my club's indoor range, I loaded up ten .357 Rem Mag cases with pyrodex, a milk-carton wad, then a dollop of pine-scented Bore Butter filling the hollow base of lead wad cutter. The latter were 'Zero' brand, no grease grooves:confused:, and seemed to be lubed with graphite. They seem to work OKwith my usual light smokeless target load of 3.1 gr HP38.

Fired off the experimental rounds in a S&W 686, and got the anticipated fireworks and smoke. After all 10 shots, the barrel was pretty fouled. Easy enough to clean, but I think the lesson here is to use bullets with grease-grooves, so there's a better distribution of the Bore Butter. Anyway it's not something I plan to repeat with that setup. The test of ventilation was successful. Smoke was evacuated quickly, and the 20-yard target remained clearly visible at all times (slow fire).
 
Back
Top Bottom