357 Magnum rifle

littlebear

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased an uberti rifle in 357mag caliber and i would like to try it out this deer season, any recommendations on what bullets I should use? I was thinking of the remington 180 grain semi jacketed hollow point. Where I hunt its thick bush with some opportunities of shooting up to 200 yards
 
You might have opportunities to shoot at 200 yards but you are using a rifle that is best used at 100 or less. I have a .357 mag. rifle, they seem to me to be a "close range only" rifle, marginal for deer but adequate with decent bullets. I'd think you should be OK with the Remington 180 HP that you mention, but they shoot poorly out of my Rossi so I have no game experience with them. From the research I've done more experienced .357 users feel that deer bullets start at 158 gr. FP jacketed and heavier. Light hollow points are definitely out, not enough penetration for deer.
 
Use a heavy bullet and keep your shots short. If you must shoot over 75 yards, carry something that shoots flatter and with more power. Practice a lot and do some testing to make sure those soft point bullets will expand properly.
 
My niece shot a nice doe last year with my marlin 357 using 158 JHP. Sorry I don't remember the yardage.

Clint
 
Back
Top Bottom