.36 cal dixie gunworks flintlock kit questions

captianlower

BANNED
Regular
BANNED
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I've been offered a .36 dixie gun works kit. I'm pretty sure I could put it together but I still have lots of questions...

1.) How hard are these kits to put together?
2.) is a black powder flint lock a bad idea for a newbie?
3.) what would be a fair price to pay for something like this? dixie no longer has them on their web site.

thank you.
 
I bought a CVA .45 cal. kit that remained un-built from the 1970's for $150.00. Most of the inletting ie: the cut-outs were already 90% done so it took some effort to make everything fit properly but the end results were worth the time and effort. I had no previous experience assembling rifles but even without instructions it wasn't too hard (had to ask a few questions on CGN) mine is a percussion cap rather than a flint which may be more difficult.
I don't think a flint lock is a bad idea for anyone... even a beginner the loading is almost the same and I have found them to be quite reliable compared to percussion caps.
I get most of my supplies from Track of the Wolf they have everything that you need and ship fast.
I say go for it if you can get it at a reasonable price.
 
You have to be careful not to get any sparks in it but it is no more dangerous than many other things we use such as gasoline or smokeless powder. As long as you treat it with respect, it / they are safe.

My only criticism of the gun is that you might find a 36 to be a bit more fussy about fouling up and or a bit more awkward to clean because of the small bore diameter. Also I would be inclined to start with a percussion gun first before going to flint. I suspect the gun shoots a .350 ball which might force you to cast your own

cheers mooncoon
 
Dixie has been selling guns and kits for a looooong time.
There are different degrees of partial completion.
Earlier Dixie kits were a sack of parts and an unprofiled, uninletted board.
They have also sold unfinished rifles sourced from different maker. Basically complete guns lacking metal and wood finish.
There is a learning curve for flintlocks. First rifle I built (stock came out of a board, barrel was unbreeched) back in the '60s was a .36 flintlock. Made most of the tools I used, including the saw used to cut out the stock. Terrible lock, couldn't get it to spark worth a darn, so I converted it to percussion. Shot well.
 
I also have one of these kits. Mine is a percussion cap. I don't know what to do with it as I think it's above and beyond my abilitys.
 
I have what I think is a 32 caliber early Dixie poor boy gun. Very accurate but also very fussy about powder charge. Out here we have squirrel shoots which are usually small targets and relatively close range (20 to 40 yds). On the larger regular targets, the ball is to light to move the target much. I like the gun but as in my earlier post, there is a longer learning curve with flintlocks

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom