.36 round balls and #10 caps

bp2626

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 99.4%
158   1   0
Location
Vancouver
The local shops seem to be out of #10 CCI caps and I can't seem to find .380" round balls anywhere, only .375".

Help from the community appreciated.
 
1851 navy, .375" are undersized without patch and I need caps.

In the past, I've had a makeshift answer to something just like your problem. I took .22 caliber cleaning patches and wrapped the undersize roundball in it, much like a smokepole rifle shooter would do normally. This kind of works. I do say kind of, because inevitably cloth threads from the patch end up in the darnest places.

One best not be an any kind of hurry using this method as you are constantly removing patch material from the cylinder gap, forcing cone etc.

Edit: Oops! Forgot to mention something important. You'll also need a ball puller for this method just in case!
 
Last edited:
Try international shooters, that's where I pick up my BP supplies for my 51.

I will shoot them an e-mail, never been there before.

In the past, I've had a makeshift answer to something just like your problem. I took .22 caliber cleaning patches and wrapped the undersize roundball in it, much like a smokepole rifle shooter would do normally. This kind of works. I do say kind of, because inevitably cloth threads from the patch end up in the darnest places.

One best not be an any kind of hurry using this method as you are constantly removing patch material from the cylinder gap, forcing cone etc.

Edit: Oops! Forgot to mention something important. You'll also need a ball puller for this method just in case!

Yeah, I've been using patches for the time being. Can't fire a patched ball without percussion caps though!
 
bp2626 where do you shoot, I have 500 #10 caps and could let you have a tin of 100 at cost. Also I am wondering what brand of 1851 you have that won't take the standard size .375 balls? Have the chambers been reamed out to take a larger ball???
 
bp2626 where do you shoot, I have 500 #10 caps and could let you have a tin of 100 at cost. Also I am wondering what brand of 1851 you have that won't take the standard size .375 balls? Have the chambers been reamed out to take a larger ball???

I shoot @ Port Coquitlam & District, Hunting & Fishing Club.

I have a confederate/brass frame 1851 that was an Italian parts kit from the 60s/70s as far as my research can determine. Seems that this gun & Ubertis prefer .380".
 
Hmm, mine is a '79 Pietta 51.
I use .375 and home made wonderwads, no need to do the patch thing.

Also have a second set of nipples for #11's if I need to.
Might be an idea?

If you haven't guessed

< ------

I shoot at Abby lol
 
Back
Top Bottom