.38-40wcf

JamesM

Regular
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was helping my grandmother sort through some of my late grandfathers stuff and came across a small stash of .38-40wcf, naturally I've made it clear that should any firearms be found I will ensure they are properly taken care of.
I'm wonderring if anyone herewould know what firearms were commonly chamberred for this cartridge in the late 1940's and early 50's?
 
The 38-40 or 38 wcf was common in both rifles and handguns. Similar to the 44-40 but with a smaller diam bullet and part of the Win m92 series of 25-20, 32-20, 38-40, 44-40. Cowboys would carry both their rifle and revolver in one of these larger calibres to make the ammo situation simple. Its still used to some extent by cowboy action shooters but its not as popular with them as many other calibres. Its one of my favourite calibres and a very easy one to reload. That ammo is still available at gun shows. ...Cheers...
 
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking it was probably a lever action, since some of the cartridges have similar wear to what my winchester 94 leaves on cartridges after a trip or 2 through the gun with out being fired.
 
I honestly have no idea what my grandfather used, he had given up seriously hunting long before I was born and due to my grandmother's fears of children getting a hold of them never kept firearms at their house.
 
Back
Top Bottom