38-55 Cowboy Die sets

meo1981

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
I've recently acquired a Ballard Pacific (before and after pics AFTER the restoration) and was wondering if any members knew where (in Canada) a set of RCBS 38-55 cowboy dies could be located?

The bore is going to need .381 cast at a minimum and dies being cheaper than a rebarrel...

Any help would be appreciated, preference in buying from site sponsors but anyone who sells 'em will do.

Thanks

Mike
 
Just got a set off the EE last week and haven't used them yet. Seen some of the other cowboy dies sets at Cabelas this morning so they might be able to help.

This is my third set of 38-55 dies. Even at .379 Lee 375Win and Lee 38-55 were an issue so you are on the right track with the cowboy dies if you have to go even bigger.
 
Thanks, I checked Cabelas online and they only have .45lc and 45-70 listed.

CORRECTION

cabelas has more calibres but not 38-55, I was thinking of wholesale sports
 
Last edited:
Btw, if any of the members who spend time in the antique section get a chance at a Ballard (the no5 at least) don't hesitate, I've owned a lot of single shots and I've never handled a rifle with a better trigger (especially when "set") or better handling, ok...maybe a custom low wall. Anyways, they're as good as people say and then some. It's hard not to do a custom build on the action.
 
Just a word of caution on the Ballards...are you planning on using only BP...they have a reputation for coming apart at the most inopportune time with even very light smokeless loads. More than one story of this happening at "Quigley".
 
Back
Top Bottom